The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• WW2 time travel scenario

• Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
Somehow, we still tolerate each other. Eventually this will be the only forum left.
 #158108  by Don
 Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:48 pm
A long time ago I saw this manga which involves Japanese sending back an aircraft carrier they were secretly building (instead of mechs) back in time to World War 2 since that's what the Japanese do. This is just an aircraft carrier, not an aircraft carrier group, so you don't get the accompanying ships. The guy they sent arrived at the Battle of Midway and he decided he didn't want to change history so he missed the battle that obviously could've easily turned the whole war around, and then later he changed his mind and the presence of this aircraft carrier became known but he didn't formally ally with the Japanese government back then. The USA also become aware of these time travelers so they changed their strategy so that the time traveling Japanese cannot just go look up Microsoft Encarta and figure out where to go next.

Now in light of that, would these time travelers really make that much of a difference after they missed the Battle of Midway? They do not have an alliance with the Japanese government back then. An aircraft carrier by itself seems to carry more precision strike weapons but that really won't matter much when you're talking about the massive scale of war in WW2. Ideally you'd use your future aircrafts to sink the US carriers but since history has changed you really have no idea where they're at now relative to your history books. I'd assume most precision weaponry that needs satellites wouldn't even work back in WW2 since there wasn't any satellites to guide them. It seems like you'd have to run out of either fuel or bombs before you can make enough of a difference, and especially weapons, after you run out you can't possibly resupply them because the technology to make this stuff doesn't exist yet. I guess you can always have basic bombs or whatever but then you'd no longer have such a big advantage.