The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Scoop, Syriana, and Running Scared...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #103462  by Imakeholesinu
 Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:12 pm
Scoop this shit up.Actually, it was just after Woody Allen appeared and played his usual fumbling character that I was so annoyed I had to turn it off. Not even Scarlett Johannson's body could keep me interested in this film. Here I was thinking it would be something on par with Match Point...but this was somewhere around the 1st ring of hell. Pathetic. Ian McShane gave a pretty good preformance while in the underworld though I have to say, but his ghostly preformance in the real world was nothing more than "You remember me from Deadwood right?" Scoop was what I used to pick up my friend's dog shit with after this film.

Barret Grade F-

Syriana was shot a shit load like Traffic. If my DVD player for my TV wasn't a piece, I would have been able to enjoy the subtitles the day before (I had no idea their were subtitles before until I put the DVD into my PC). The acting still made sense though. You could tell the frustration of the Middleastern characters and they were pretty good actors (unless I guess I'm just type casting them and knew one of them was going to commit suicide because I'm an american and all foreigners look the same /sarcasim). I was pissed at how it ended because the film actually had a meaningful exchange between the first born Prince (Dr. Brashear from DS9) and Matt Damon that put the conflict into place and shed a lot of light on how our government supposedly operates over there. Mussawi is a fucking badass too. I wanted this film to be longer. The cuts really hurt the length of the film I thought as I was constantly having to change and pick up the storyline where it was left off. If they had done longer scenes with fewer cuts I believe it could have been as effective if not more effective for the audience to view. It almost makes me want to go rent Munich again, which was too long for it's own good but damn they knew how to tell that story.

Barret Grade B

Running Scared was just fucking amazing. I didn't think Paul Walker could actually play a tough guy, especially after his other films where he just looked 'Pretty'. He gets rough and tumble and damn, he even goes down on the hot psych chick from "The Departed". For a couple seconds there I thought they were actually going to show a lot more than what they did. This is the first film I think that actually got full frontal and made it into theaters without the NC-17 rating. I have to say whoever that girl is, she doesn't have that great of a face but she's got a body. The middle of this film was the sickest, most twisted part. I liked the sense of panic and then the twists towards the end. It was a loose plot-line that was aided mostly by the action sequences. Walker, playing a bad guy, actually made me cheer for him a little more. The film wanted to be "The Departed" so badly but it just couldn't do it. Sick, twisted, dirty, a little sexy, and thrilling.

Barret Grade B+

#103468  by Flip
 Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:03 pm
I thought running scared was awful. You never wanted to root for Walker because his character was a total dickface. The twist at the end just made it all the more terrible.