The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Reno 911 = Funniest show known to man

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #107201  by Nev
 Fri May 25, 2007 12:37 am
This show is SO underrated. They do it basically by doing improv sketch comedy around a sitcom theme of being police officers in Reno and keeping the best bits...the episode I just downloaded is classic.

"Rape me once, shame on you. Rape me twice--"

"SHAME ON ME!!!!!!"

Anyone know the episode I'm talking about? That very same bit also contains the gem "Just remember, you don't have to be a supermodel to get raped."

#107206  by Kupek
 Fri May 25, 2007 9:31 am
Wait, wait, wait. They improv the show? There's no script? Are you sure?

#107235  by Nev
 Fri May 25, 2007 2:59 pm
As far as I know, they have "loose" scripts designed to do improv routines around, then they film the improv and make the show out of it. There have been a few articles about the show to that effect, and if you watch it, you'll catch that "improv" feel - they might spend five minutes on a skit that doesn't go anywhere really, and then in the next one someone just says something that makes you almost fall over with how unexpectedly humorous it is. It also has that sense of kind of unscripted timing that you see in improv comedy a lot.

The episode I was just talking about has another bit that almost killed me laughing. One of the hick cops is about to interrogate a suspect, and he's all like "Okay, we're going to do something we like to call 'Good Cop, Black Cop.'" The black cop he's with starts in on how it's supposed to be "Good Cop, Bad Cop", and the hick cop gets offended and tells him that this is what they're going to do, and that since he said the name of the style is "Good Cop, Black Cop", that's how it's going to be. The bit ends with the black cop strangling the hick and the perp running out of the interrogation room in the background. I just about lost my shit at that one.