The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Sopranos filler?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #106626  by Zeus
 Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:59 pm
Never thought I'd see the day, but yesterday's ep (s6 ep 16 or s7 ep 4, depending on who you ask) actually had zero plot movement. This episode can be completely removed from the series and there would be NOTHING lost. The show has always ensured that there were multiple plot lines being developed each episode and that things were always going on so anything could happen, but this ep had NOTHING. It was basically like an episode of Lost.

I'm worried about the end of the show now. I thought the slowness of season 6 might just be a build up to season 7 (or the second half of season 6). But they have 4 episodes to wrap up the show and the only way it can happen is with a rushed-together plot in the last few eps. There's been basically no build-up at all from the beginning of season 6.

There has to be some serious stuff happening next ep for them to stop the series from just tapering off. Too bad, the show was so excellent for 5 seasons.

I really don't want to see it end like Oz, I'd rather see it end like Six Feet Under.

#106629  by Nev
 Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:41 pm
I lost interest in Oz around the second season for some reason.

And I've never watched the Sopranos. But I'm glad you have something to be aggravated over!

#106630  by Blotus
 Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:54 pm
I am in agreement. Season six has had some good episodes but as a whole it's disappointing so far.

Six Feet Under's ending was so incredible that I wouldn't mind in the least if the Sopranos completely ripped it off.

#106634  by Zeus
 Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:35 pm
Nev wrote:I lost interest in Oz around the second season for some reason.

And I've never watched the Sopranos. But I'm glad you have something to be aggravated over!
Oz was spectacular up until about episode 4 or 5 of season 4. It went downhill from there then REALLY jumped the shark hard in season 5.

Veronica Mars is in a downhill slide right now. Still enough to watch, but the show needs a significant change. I hope it doesn't end up like Oz (assuming it's survived beyond this year).

Sopranos is (was) an awesome show. Imagine the movie Goodfellas but in a show with real family problems. Just as much depth in the mafia part but moreso with the inclusion of normal family life in there. And Chase was really good at keeping multiple storylines going and not overdoing anything, even violence. It really was an excellent show until season 6. It seems like they've got an idea of where they want to go but are stretching it out, wasting time tieing up storylines and stuff (like Junior). I want them to tie them up but not spend that much time doing it when there's no other plot movement. It really does feel as though he's stretched out the last 10-12 episodes into 20.

The reason I'm angry is the show was so well done before and it's just fizzing out rather than leaving with a bang, keeping up with the tempo and quality of its past.

Lotus, Six Feet's ending is the benchmark you judge all others against. It's really not fair to compare them. Different shows and that ending was so kick-ass and fit so amazingly well you can't expect it to occur very often. A ripoff at this point would be cool but feel like a ripoff. Sorpanos had no reason to resort to that before these last few eps. Now I don't think they have much of a choice.

I hope to hell I'm wrong and Chase pulls out an amazing ending, but these last 16 eps haven't given me much reason to have hope.

#107484  by Blotus
 Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:02 pm
Holy hell...

MAJOR SPOILERS!

The Italian soldiers screw up the hit on Phil, Bobby has been killed, Silvio is on his deathbed, and Tony is in hiding. I cannot fucking wait for the finale!

Also, Bobby's kids are going to turn out so fucked up being raised by Janice and whoever she marries in a month.

#107486  by Ishamael
 Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:33 pm
Black Lotus wrote:Holy hell...

MAJOR SPOILERS!

The Italian soldiers screw up the hit on Phil, Bobby has been killed, Silvio is on his deathbed, and Tony is in hiding. I cannot fucking wait for the finale!

Also, Bobby's kids are going to turn out so fucked up being raised by Janice and whoever she marries in a month.
Indeed sir. Major nukes dropped in this ep. I'm pumped for next week.

#107490  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:35 pm
Tons of stuff happened (even the stuff with the psychiatrist), but man, NO build-up. This stuff needed to have the seeds planted about 6 episodes ago. It just feels rushed right now.

But I am looking forward to the finale next week. Any guesses on how it's gonna end? :-)

#107511  by Blotus
 Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:33 pm
Well, I don't really think this will happen, but it could. When Phil and Butch and glasses guy are talking about who to hit (the top three) they include Bobby instead of Paulie. Paulie is an underboss, outranking Bobby's capo. Phil says SOMETHING like "we don't need to worry about him". ANyway, Paulie's always bitching about this and that and he tried to get employed by Carmine Sr. at one point, so who knows... he could turn. This would, however, make him the most hated character in the series where he was so loveable before, so I don't know if Tony Sirico (the actor) would go for it.

#107523  by Zeus
 Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:15 pm
SPOILER ALERT.....

That's one I never thought of before and Chase could bring that one back. I thought it had closure after that particular plotline ended, but it could be neat. It would be better than a straight gun-fight.

The one I thought of was Tony turning snitch. Sounds nuts, but think about it for a second. The FBI guy actually warned Tony what was going on and prompted him to take action. They've actually been feeding info back and forth for a while (since last season). And the entire series, Tony's always looked out for Tony first, his people second. He's always been a very selfish person who just deals with consequences. Sure, it breaks the code, but he won't care about that. He's got an option of dying or snitching. I say he snitches if it comes down to it. Plus, it would bring it that much closer to being the modern-day Goodfellas that it really is.

Other than that and your suggestion, what's left? Tony COULD escape out the back way of Junior's house (the way he used to come in) and just run with the family. He could win the gunfight and then go after Phil. He could get killed in the gunfight or even in some freak accident.

But I'd prefer one of our two suggestions.

#107687  by Chris
 Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:17 am
Man, the finale has me confused. I'm not sure if it was agreat ending r a fucking retarded ending. I mean in some ways I can think of it as ingenious....my initial impression was that it was just fucking retarded. I though my satellite went out before the credits came on. but with my initial impresson being that it was fucking retarded it had me massively overanalyzing the last scene. I don't know if I love it or hate it.

#107689  by Eric
 Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:11 am
Ahhh, nothing like ending a series with what one can be described as a cliffhanger that leaves you with 0 closure.

#107693  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:37 pm
Whether it's his style or not, doesn't matter. It's still a bad ending. If Carnivale ended the way it did on purpose, it still would have sucked. The same for movies; the Ninth Gate's ending sucked.

Series finale cliffhangers are either ways to try to get more money out of the series (through spinoffs), accidental because the series ended too soon, or a way to mindfuck the audience for no good reason.

(Never watched the show, btw.)

#107696  by Kupek
 Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:16 pm
So... you've never watched the show, didn't see the last episode, yet you're convinced it was bad. How can you evaluate something you haven't seen?

#107698  by Nev
 Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:44 pm
From the Killer Bee's linked article:

"The lack of resolution -- the absolute and deliberate failure, or more accurately, refusal, to end this thing -- was exactly right. It felt more violent, more disturbing, more unfair than even the most savage murders Chase has depicted over the course of six seasons, because the victim was us. He ended the series by whacking the viewer."

That's hilarious. I wonder if I'd have liked the ending had I watched any of the series, ever.

#107703  by Eric
 Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:43 pm
Kupek wrote:So... you've never watched the show, didn't see the last episode, yet you're convinced it was bad. How can you evaluate something you haven't seen?
He's basing it on other series/movies that end under similar circumstances, regardless of having not watched the show, he's not far off from the reviews that have been given about the finale.

#107706  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:55 pm
That wasn't an ending. I have to agree with a bud of mine. What happened in the last few episodes since the filler (5 or 6 eps) was all neat and good, but it just didn't feel like an ending or closure in any way. SPOILER ALERT...NOW.

I love how Phil got whacked, Tony visiting a mentally dead Jun, even A.J. getting his ass pulled out of his depression with money, but it still didn't really feel like an ending. In fact, it really wasn't, which is what that guy in Andrew's post was babbling about and why he loved it.

Fuck that. I watched this shit for 86 episodes and all I got was forceably ass-fucked by Chase for 22 episodes at the end with a nice little reach-around to rub salt in the would right as he finished. What he did was STRICTLY to say "you wrong, bitches" to everyone and their mother trying to guess what was going to happen and show them who's really boss by giving us a nothing ending. It felt more like the ending of Season 6 (there's so fucking thing as Season 6A or 6B; it's 6 and 7 IMO) rather than the ending of a series.

It wasn't artistic IMO, it was a cop-out or power trip....or a set up for a movie, which is I think the real motive here. It's not out of the question considering he effectively stretched one season into two (the last 22 eps could easily have been a regular 12 ep season) and the sheer amount of demand for a real ending now (and the money HBO would throw at him and Gandolfini).

He could have made up for the last two seasons if he had a good ending. Instead, he did nothing. Thanks for nothing......

#107711  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:53 am
SineSwiper wrote:(Never watched the show, btw.)
Kupek wrote:So... you've never watched the show, didn't see the last episode, yet you're convinced it was bad.
Hahahahaha!

Oh man, Sine. If ever a post summed you up, that was it. You are infuriating and insane, but I love you.

#107715  by Zeus
 Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:44 pm
Here's the most popular theory on what happened, basically stating that the show ended exactly when Tony died, especially since in the second last episode they referred back in a flashback to the conversation he had with Bobby about dying:

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment ... 6-sun.html

The idea is that 'cause you didn't hear anything when Meadow came in and the black screen with no music ended the show, that's the point when Tony was shot as that's what he and Bobby talked about.

Is it a neat idea? Yeah, but don't mean it wasn't a cop-out. Not all revolutionary ideas work. This one just left it so wide open and so ambiguous that it ended up being a nothing ending.

#107727  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:35 pm
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote:Hahahahaha!

Oh man, Sine. If ever a post summed you up, that was it. You are infuriating and insane, but I love you.
So I ask: was I far off?

(BTW, I have seen the last 30 seconds of the episode, and really, that's the only important part of this conversation.)

#107736  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:48 pm
SineSwiper wrote:So I ask: was I far off?
You're not even on the same planet! You can't not watch a show and declare its ending bad.* If you're right or wrong, you'll be either through sheer uninformed dumb luck only.
SineSwiper wrote:(BTW, I have seen the last 30 seconds of the episode, and really, that's the only important part of this conversation.)
No, it's really not. You need to have watched the entire series to judge the finale. What you're doing is akin to reading the last half-sentence of a book and casting judgement on it based on that half-sentence only. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

* That would be like not reading LOTR and then castigating the movies because they didn't follow the text by rote; which you also did, if I recall correctly.

#107739  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:01 pm
I'm not going to argue the obvious, because everybody who is more informed than me is agreeing with me. Just because I'm not completely informed about the topic doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't have any merit whatsoever.

#107740  by Kupek
 Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:02 pm
There's a difference between "not completely informed" and "almost completely ignorant."

#107743  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:32 pm
SineSwiper wrote:...everybody who is more informed than me is agreeing with me.
I'm more informed than you are, and I disagree with you.
SineSwiper wrote:Just because I'm not completely informed about the topic doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't have any merit whatsoever.
No, but the amount of merit your opinion has is dependant on how informed it is, and your opinion in this instance is not very informed. Just as I would not ask a hobo for his opinion on my chest pains, I'll take your opinion on the ending of an 86-hour long series you've watched the last thirty seconds of with all the salt in the ocean.
Kupek wrote:There's a difference between "not completely informed" and "almost completely ignorant."
<3

#107746  by Nev
 Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:50 am
Andrew, Killer Bee wrote: No, but the amount of merit your opinion has is dependant on how informed it is, and your opinion in this instance is not very informed. Just as I would not ask a hobo for his opinion on my chest pains, I'll take your opinion on the ending of an 86-hour long series you've watched the last thirty seconds of with all the salt in the ocean.
I was so totally about to link in the VGCats comic where Dr. Hobo says "Of course I'm a doctor! Why you think I gots this knife?"

Sadly it seems to have been removed from the archives.

#107748  by Nev
 Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:34 am
SineSwiper wrote:I'm not going to argue the obvious, because everybody who is more informed than me is agreeing with me.
Debate by eminent opinion, one of the all time classic debate techniques. Sine, you're absolute garbage, I'm sorry, I just have to say it.
SineSwiper wrote:Just because I'm not completely informed about the topic doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't have any merit whatsoever.
It really kind of does. Just about every time I register an opinion on a creative work around here without actually seeing it, I turn out to be wrong, or reverse my opinion later. You do too, except that you don't admit that your ignorance is making you look like a doofus.

Did you read the last sentence of novels in your English classes and then try to do critical analysis? One might think that you would try have some respect for the creators of the work.

Wait, it's Sine we're talking about! That clears up my confusion as to why you'd try to defend this debate position.

Carry on, then.

#107749  by Zeus
 Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:05 pm
Nev wrote:Also, http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/1 ... index.html .

Chase says he most likely will not do a movie. One for you to think about, Zeus.
I want to see a quote with him saying that two years from now when Sopranos, Chase, and Gandolfini are all but forgotten and HBO has thrown money at him. THEN I might believe him.

#107751  by kali o.
 Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:05 pm
I have nothing to add to this thread except to say I liked the finale. I liked the ending scene, with the familiar multiple angles of potential danger (impending inditement, shady characters in the resteraunt, potential hit still on Tony's head, Meadow hittin a strangers car, etc), building up to a climax that ultimately leaves everything completely unresolved and messy.

As a fan I would have preferred a little less ambiguity in the dark screen, but otherwise, it was perfect.

#107762  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:52 am
Nev wrote:Debate by eminent opinion, one of the all time classic debate techniques. Sine, you're absolute garbage, I'm sorry, I just have to say it.
Oh, nice. Let's resort to name calling. Nev, fuck you asshole. I'm sorry; I just have to say it.
Nev wrote:It really kind of does. Just about every time I register an opinion on a creative work around here without actually seeing it, I turn out to be wrong, or reverse my opinion later. You do too, except that you don't admit that your ignorance is making you look like a doofus.
I'm using my experience of movies and series with messy endings to make a comparison. I've read the review, and quite frankly, I think it was messy and not what the fans wanted. It's almost like having Tony Soprano standing in front of his friends, while they say "Congratulations! Congratulations!" while clapping for no fucking reason. It's that type of WTF reaction (for The Sopranos or NGEva). In both cases, you have no idea what happened, and you're not going to because the series is over.

I can relate, even if I haven't seen the series. I know what the series is about. I've read about the last episode, and even had a chance to see the ending. Therefore, I have enough information to comment on the ending. I am not an expert on the series, but we aren't talking about the series. An episode in Season 1 has absolutely no relevance to the last episode, especially with HBO/Showtime series. ("Loose end? Bah, fuck that; we'll just pretend that it never happened.") Therefore, your book comparison is invalid.

#107768  by Chris
 Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:58 pm
you know...after the flashback thing (when you get whacked it just goes black) the ending makes a lot more sense and I think I actually like it now......the conversation ties in directly to the eding and it makes it work....shazam

#107774  by Nev
 Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:15 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Nev wrote:Debate by eminent opinion, one of the all time classic debate techniques. Sine, you're absolute garbage, I'm sorry, I just have to say it.
Oh, nice. Let's resort to name calling. Nev, fuck you asshole. I'm sorry; I just have to say it.
You're just better than this. Sorry if my opinion offends you. But you just can't hope to analyze a creative work with any thoroughness unless you actually experience the whole thing.
SineSwiper wrote:
Nev wrote:It really kind of does. Just about every time I register an opinion on a creative work around here without actually seeing it, I turn out to be wrong, or reverse my opinion later. You do too, except that you don't admit that your ignorance is making you look like a doofus.
I'm using my experience of movies and series with messy endings to make a comparison. I've read the review, and quite frankly, I think it was messy and not what the fans wanted. It's almost like having Tony Soprano standing in front of his friends, while they say "Congratulations! Congratulations!" while clapping for no fucking reason. It's that type of WTF reaction (for The Sopranos or NGEva). In both cases, you have no idea what happened, and you're not going to because the series is over.

I can relate, even if I haven't seen the series. I know what the series is about. I've read about the last episode, and even had a chance to see the ending. Therefore, I have enough information to comment on the ending. I am not an expert on the series, but we aren't talking about the series. An episode in Season 1 has absolutely no relevance to the last episode, especially with HBO/Showtime series. ("Loose end? Bah, fuck that; we'll just pretend that it never happened.") Therefore, your book comparison is invalid.
No, it's not. Context is *crucial* to understanding plot, of any kind. I'd argue that context is far more important than actual events. Things relate to each other in a WHOLE host of subtle ways that we tend to subconsciously process when we form opinions of emotional works, as human beings. I can't quote sources on that, but I do believe it to be true in nearly all cases.

There was a comic strip I liked in Starslip Crisis, one day. The museum curator was looking at a large blank modern art piece with a single bloody bullethole painted on the canvas, and calls the piece "Collapsed Lung". He then goes to an identical piece which he calls brilliant, called "Collapsed Lung II". When his assistant asks why the second is so brilliant, the curator says that viewed in the context of "Collapsed Lung I", the meaning completely changes! It's a throwaway gag, but I think it's absolutely perfect in terms of providing a bit of visceral humor to relate this discussion to.

You *can't* analyze events completely on their own if you want the deepest picture of the work. The events that have gone before influence the physical, mental, and emotional states of the characters as well as the audience. The characters aren't the same characters as they were in the first season, if it's the last season. The *audience* isn't the same audience, either - they've already had their emotional states altered hundreds of times in the intervening story lines, which have left people open to certain things, closed to others, and etc. We don't exist in a vacuum, and neither do TV characters - we constantly change and react to our surroundings, so do they. So do characters in novels. You can't say that the pilot has nothing to do with the final episode. I mean, some final episodes are *expressly written* to relate back to the pilot in some way.

I think you're trying to treat each character as a sort of eternal force here, something unchanging that makes it valid to analyze any event outside of its context. I just don't think that's true. I understand that the Sopranos characters are known somewhat for being the same characters at the end of the series that they were at the beginning, but I also understand that that's *part* of the writing of the show. David Chase is known as somewhat of a pessimist about human nature, and I have read some people who take the Sopranos' unwillingness to change (over several seasons) as a deep statement by Chase on the stubbornness of human nature. But you NEED to know that the Sopranos have been through several seasons, and have remained the same, in order to see that. The consistent reaction of the characters OVER A PASSAGE OF TIME is what provides the ability to make the analysis about stubbornness.

I have more to say, but this is a good start.

#107777  by Kupek
 Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:29 pm

#107779  by Nev
 Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:50 pm
Kupek wrote:On context.
Scanning the first few paragraphs now. Looks very interesting. I'm gonna have to take my time on that one, but I will most definitely connect with you around it.