The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• HXH part 265 - time for a new main character

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #119620  by Don
 Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:38 am
I think HXH's Gon must have the record for the most unpopular main character ever. I can't think of any manga where the main character is only the 3rd most popular with minimal exposure for many of the other characters. Although HXH in theory is about Gon's search for his father, I think it's good time for them to retire an unpopular kid who basically does completely dumb things and gets bailed out by sheer luck.

Part 265 continues Gon on a path of stupidity, as he foolishly challenges the cat royal guard to a fight even when she has said she'll do anything he wants if he just leaves her alone for an hour. One has to realize that the Hunters are still thoroughly outmatched. None of the other Hunter have a chance against the other royal guards, and the cat is quite capable of killing Gon and Killua if she wanted to. Like Killua pointed out, their mission, beyond saving the world, is to bring Katt back, and only the cat royal guard can do this (though I suspect she cannot, because Katt is already dead and she cannot bring back the dead).

Similar to the Netero vs the King matchup, you are simply not supposed to attack someone while they're protecting an innocent bystander if you're supposed to be the 'good guys', even if it means the future of the wrold is at stake. Besides, there's very little to be gained for a sneak attack on the nearly invinicible King and his royal guards. The vulnerable Komaki is their only weakness and if she dies, you're going to look at a generic one frame instant kill from either the King or the cat against their enemies. The only thing that's holding her back right now is her duty to protect Komaki.

At this point, I think what the cat should do is go into battle mode, instantly killing Gon, and then offer to surrender to Killua. Or maybe Killua should just kill Gon himself, because clearly Gon's action is a threat to world peace. Pretty much the only way the Hunters would have a chance at saving the world is if the cat, who appears to be the most powerful royal guard, turns on the other 2 royal guards, and she has implied she's willing to do that to fulfill her mission.

It is foreshadowed very early on that one day, Killua will betray Gon. I think this is a good time, because if Gon still lives, the entire world is basically screwed. Togashi is not one to have people make up for inexplicable difference in raw power, and right now the Hunters are basically fighting a doomed battle if they don't get help from at least one of the royal guards.