The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• "Original" ending to I Am Legend

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #123169  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 am

#123173  by Lox
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:12 pm
This ending doesn't work in the context of the actual film, but if the film had been made to fulfill this ending, then I think it would have been better.

#123174  by Eric
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:40 pm
Lox wrote:This ending doesn't work in the context of the actual film, but if the film had been made to fulfill this ending, then I think it would have been better.
Yes it did. Throughout the film he was noting that the Vampires had odd behavior. Like when he took the female and that one stuck it's head out into the sun, it's the same one in this ending.

#123175  by Lox
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:44 pm
Yeah, but if they were trying to get the female back, then it didn't make sense for them to send those mutant dogs after him. The mutant dogs were ready to rip him to shreds which would have removed any chance of them tracking him back to his house.

Without that scene, then it might have worked though.

#123176  by RentCavalier
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:57 pm
Well, if he is, in their eyes, "legendary", they were likely assuming that there was fuck-all that was going to kill him, and they needed to do everything they could to try and weaken him down.

Or, maybe, they thought he was a monster, much like he thought they were, and it wasn't until they met face-to-face that they both realized each other's humanity.

#123184  by Zeus
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:23 pm
I suppose no one here's seen the original Omega Man with Heston?

#123186  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:32 pm
Zeus wrote:I suppose no one here's seen the original Omega Man with Heston?
Why bother? It's probably even less to do with the source material than the current movie.
RentCavalier wrote:Or, maybe, they thought he was a monster, much like he thought they were, and it wasn't until they met face-to-face that they both realized each other's humanity.
I like how he kept looking at the pictures of his experiments, which now looked like a catalog of a serial killer.

Also, this ending really did fit the rest of the movie. The whole time I'm watching the movie, his notion that these creatures are completely mindless was totally in contradiction of the behaviors they were actually exhibiting.

#123194  by RentCavalier
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:41 pm
Granted, that ending doesn't REALLY show us that he's a Legend. Just because, if only, that there ARE survivors, in the form of that STUPID woman and her annoying little kid. UGH. Hate them.

#123208  by bovine
 Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:12 pm
anyone seen the Omega Man?

#123234  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:31 pm
bovine wrote:anyone seen the Omega Man?
Didn't realize there was an echo in here....

Sine, Omega Man isn't a perfect replication of the book but it is far closer to story than I Am Legend

#123241  by bovine
 Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Zeus wrote:

Sine, Omega Man isn't a perfect replication of the book but it is far closer to story than I Am Legend
gack! sorry, I guess I can't read or sumthin.

#123244  by Mully
 Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:19 pm
Zeus wrote:

A pretty much "exact" representation of "I am Legend" is the Vincent Price version "The Last Man On Earth" that came out in 1964 just 7 years before "Omega Man."

I think it fits "TLMoE" pretty much is the book in movie form. It's boring; just like the book, but in a good way. That how Neville lived. Bored, lonely. The "vampires" moved slowly, just like they did in a book (kinda zombie walk). Ending; same as the book. There is the whole experment phase that both newer movies leave out. TLMoE never says vampires either, but eludes to it through experimentation. Vincent Price voice-overs the whole movie just like the book is read, a lot of insight, but a lazy way to film (I think). One part of TLMoE, Vincent/Neville mentions he thought several times about raping the female vampires (eww). As a matter of fact, I have a first edition of "I am Legend" (book) right here on my desk.

I let Seraphina borrow it, I don't know if she gave it back.

I didn't like the new version at all. It looked so hazed due to blue screening and CG that I couldn't bare to watch it, but I did. I suffered through the whole thing; beginning to end.

#123245  by Shellie
 Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 pm
Mully wrote: I let Seraphina borrow it, I don't know if she gave it back.
It's sitting on your desk, therefore, I gave it back :P

#123246  by Mully
 Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:47 pm
Seraphina wrote:
No, the movie. Didn't you borrow the movie?

#123247  by Shellie
 Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:58 pm
Mully wrote:
Seraphina wrote:
No, the movie. Didn't you borrow the movie?
No, only the book.

#123256  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:43 pm
Mully wrote:
Zeus wrote:

A pretty much "exact" representation of "I am Legend" is the Vincent Price version "The Last Man On Earth" that came out in 1964 just 7 years before "Omega Man."

I think it fits "TLMoE" pretty much is the book in movie form. It's boring; just like the book, but in a good way. That how Neville lived. Bored, lonely. The "vampires" moved slowly, just like they did in a book (kinda zombie walk). Ending; same as the book. There is the whole experment phase that both newer movies leave out. TLMoE never says vampires either, but eludes to it through experimentation. Vincent Price voice-overs the whole movie just like the book is read, a lot of insight, but a lazy way to film (I think). One part of TLMoE, Vincent/Neville mentions he thought several times about raping the female vampires (eww). As a matter of fact, I have a first edition of "I am Legend" (book) right here on my desk.

I let Seraphina borrow it, I don't know if she gave it back.

I didn't like the new version at all. It looked so hazed due to blue screening and CG that I couldn't bare to watch it, but I did. I suffered through the whole thing; beginning to end.
I'll definitely have to check out The Last Man On Earth