The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• British programming

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #123382  by Tessian
 Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:19 pm
Thanks to the awesomeness that is Doctor Who I've started looking at other British shows. Only two have really caught my eye so far but after these I'll be looking for more:

Little Britain-- I've mentioned this before I think; basically a pretty funny sketch comedy with material you wouldn't get away with in the US.

Coupling-- now this I freakin love. It's a psuedo-sitcom about 6 friends and their dating/relationship issues. It's told in such a way and with the right kinds of character that it's got to be one of the funniest shows I've watched in years. The main actor, Jack Davenport, was in Pirates of the Caribbean-- he does a total 180 in this role and I would have never known if not for a random trip to IMDB. Unfortunately it's already done, only 4 seasons, and most seasons only have 6 episodes :(

Anyone else seen any quality british shows? And obviously I already know about Flying Circus so don't bother :P

#123384  by Blotus
 Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:37 pm
The Office
Extras
Black Books

Little Britain is awesome until you realize it's the same jokes for the same set of characters in every season of the series (or every series of the programme, if you will).

#123385  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:52 pm
Black Books is probably my favourite sitcom ever.

#123386  by Tessian
 Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:12 pm
What's Black Books about?

And yeah, I pretty much came to the same conclusion Lotus; the sketches just repeat themselves over and over again... they're great sketches, but they're not as funny the 6th time or the 10th.

#123387  by Andrew, Killer Bee
 Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:15 pm
It is ostensibly about a dude that runs a bookshop, but it's not about anything in particular, really. It's just awesome.

#123388  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:16 am
Secret Diary of a Call Girl...simply...amazing.

#123391  by RentCavalier
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:34 am
Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe. It's like a less vitrolic version of Yahtzee, focusing on television. Better yet, it TEACHES you things, as well as being entertaining. I've watched all of the episodes so far on Youtube, and he's got a website.

Check it out--intelligent satire, observations, and reviews, as well as a few nifty cartoons from David Firth, creator of Salad Fingers.

#123395  by Lox
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:44 am
Has anyone ever watched Spaced starring Simon Peg? The DVDs are out and since I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I thought maybe the show was worth watching.

#123398  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:50 am
Top Gear. I don't even like cars all that much, but the hosts are just fucking hilarious! First episode that caught my eye was when they were doing all kinds of zany tests for British Leyland cars (known there to be makers of total shit during the 70's). I've been hooked ever since.

#123405  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:41 am
SineSwiper wrote:Top Gear. I don't even like cars all that much, but the hosts are just fucking hilarious! First episode that caught my eye was when they were doing all kinds of zany tests for British Leyland cars (known there to be makers of total shit during the 70's). I've been hooked ever since.
I agree with you on this one, that show is hillarious whether you like or dislike car enthusiest culture.