The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• 400GB Blu-Ray developed

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#123607  by bovine
 Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:21 pm
I see a rerelease of mgs4 when this comes out.... with more, longer cutscenes and install times.

#123609  by Zeus
 Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:20 pm
bovine wrote:I see a rerelease of mgs4 when this comes out.... with more, longer cutscenes and install times.
And Japanese voices included :-)

#123611  by Eric
 Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:37 pm
Zeus wrote:
bovine wrote:I see a rerelease of mgs4 when this comes out.... with more, longer cutscenes and install times.
The English voices are flawless in MGS, one of the few series where I couldn't give a crap about how the Japanese cast sounds.

#123612  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:44 pm
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:
The English voices are flawless in MGS, one of the few series where I couldn't give a crap about how the Japanese cast sounds.

#123613  by Flip
 Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:37 pm
oh man, thats a hilarious picture. Shes hot before the stocking, though.

#123616  by Tessian
 Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:25 pm
Pretty freakin cool... god knows what you could use 400gig on a DVD for though...

#123620  by Zeus
 Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:57 pm
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:
Oh, I agree completely. I was just sayin' that 'cause it was one of those big things that people were wondering "how the fuck can't you fit the Jap voices on, it's a freakin' Blu Ray and you've already got English subs".

#123702  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:55 am
Well, all I have to say is that it didn't take long for the original Blu Ray DVD to become obsolete =P

#123743  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:11 pm
Dutch wrote:Well, all I have to say is that it didn't take long for the original Blu Ray DVD to become obsolete =P
That's okay. Movies burned onto a disc has already become obsolete. Sony is just trying to put billions of dollars in the wrong technology, like they've been doing for 20 years.

#123767  by Flip
 Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:19 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Dutch wrote:Well, all I have to say is that it didn't take long for the original Blu Ray DVD to become obsolete =P
That's okay. Movies burned onto a disc has already become obsolete. Sony is just trying to put billions of dollars in the wrong technology, like they've been doing for 20 years.
This has to be coming from a guy who hasnt seen Blu-Ray. While i dont intend to buy a player or BR movies anytime soon... well, maybe in a year... its fucking beautiful on a 1080 TV and deserves a little more credit than simply a movie burned onto a disk. I nearly shat my pants watching PotC at a friends on BR.

#123784  by Zeus
 Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:52 am
Flip wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:
This has to be coming from a guy who hasnt seen Blu-Ray. While i dont intend to buy a player or BR movies anytime soon... well, maybe in a year... its fucking beautiful on a 1080 TV and deserves a little more credit than simply a movie burned onto a disk. I nearly shat my pants watching PotC at a friends on BR.
I can buy a 16GB SD card for $70....in a retail store (Futureshop). Give it 5 years and you'll be able to put a fully uncompressed HD flick with all the trimmings and even better access times on a freakin' memory card. Then digital media becomes obsolete

#123796  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:43 am
There isn't much difference between 720p and 1080p. I have a 1080p TV, too. You run into diminishing returns after each pixel upgrade.

#123806  by Zeus
 Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:00 am
SineSwiper wrote:There isn't much difference between 720p and 1080p. I have a 1080p TV, too. You run into diminishing returns after each pixel upgrade.
Yeah, I've kinda noticed that myself when I went to my bud's house. A good TV displaying 720p (on a side note, 720p is definitely better than 1080i) will be basically as good as a good 1080p for 98% of the population.

On a related note, since up-converting DVD players can upconvert to 1080p relatively well, they make Blu-Ray basically unnecessary from a picture-quality point of view.

#123833  by Blotus
 Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm
Zeus wrote:On a related note, since up-converting DVD players can upconvert to 1080p relatively well, they make Blu-Ray basically unnecessary from a picture-quality point of view.
This is not correct at all.

#123840  by Zeus
 Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Black Lotus wrote:
Zeus wrote:On a related note, since up-converting DVD players can upconvert to 1080p relatively well, they make Blu-Ray basically unnecessary from a picture-quality point of view.
This is not correct at all.
For 98% of the population for 98% of the movies? Sure it is

#123842  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:14 pm
I play LOTRO on 720p (upconverted to 1080p). Still looks exceptional with the graphics turned up.