The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Blu-Ray price drops happening

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #124105  by Zeus
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 pm
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/890/890718p1.html

That's very good news IMO. Blu-Rays will be reasonable and also lead to a reduction in DVD prices (as they companies try, and fail miserably, to phase-out DVDs). When I finally get a PS3, it'll be great.

#124131  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:27 pm
Well, when you can download movies on your TV or 360 (On-Demand, Netflix, etc.), what the fuck is the point? I don't remember the last time I touched a DVD.

#124135  by Zeus
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:34 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Well, when you can download movies on your TV or 360 (On-Demand, Netflix, etc.), what the fuck is the point? I don't remember the last time I touched a DVD.
Some of us like to have physical media, remember?

#124143  by kali o.
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 pm
Zeus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:Well, when you can download movies on your TV or 360 (On-Demand, Netflix, etc.), what the fuck is the point? I don't remember the last time I touched a DVD.
Some of us like to have physical media, remember?
I do...but I'd be happy to make the switch to digital downloads when the market becomes comfortable for me to do so (ie: Lifetime "ownership" of the digital media right to download each product I pay for...I suspect the middleman industry [blockbuster, netflix, etc] will need to disappear for that to happen).

#124147  by Zeus
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:54 pm
And that's the main issue with the digital downloads. Even if you "buy" something it's only a license. It's fucking stupid, particularly if you pay $10 for it to d'load and you can get it used for less than that a month after release

#124151  by Kupek
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 pm
I don't have a 360, On-Demand or Netflix.

#124155  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:13 pm
Kupek wrote:
I'm sorry. You should get a 360, and bitch at your cable company. What cable company doesn't have On-Demand any more?

#124158  by Tessian
 Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Blu-Ray still isn't a replacement for the DVD. It's not worth it as far as I'm concerned and won't be for a long time. You guys can't spend $10/month on 1 DVD rental at a time and unlimited streaming video, but $400 for a glorified Blu-Ray player that's disguised as a terrible gaming console and $20 for a disc?

#124163  by Flip
 Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:24 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Kupek wrote:
I'm sorry. You should get a 360, and bitch at your cable company. What cable company doesn't have On-Demand any more?
I dont have cable TV.

#124165  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:42 am
Flip wrote:I dont have cable TV.
What the fuck is wrong with you people? I don't know any of you any more!

#124168  by Lox
 Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:30 am
I have DirectTV, but I don't have the On Demand-equivalent stuff with it. It's too much money for the amount of use I'd get out of it.

#124177  by Zeus
 Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:52 am
Tessian wrote:Blu-Ray still isn't a replacement for the DVD. It's not worth it as far as I'm concerned and won't be for a long time. You guys can't spend $10/month on 1 DVD rental at a time and unlimited streaming video, but $400 for a glorified Blu-Ray player that's disguised as a terrible gaming console and $20 for a disc?
If my Blu-Ray comes with the PS3 that I paid only for gaming for and I can get used Blu-Rays for $10 or so, then it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not