The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Video Games Live was great!

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #124305  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:07 am
Had a lot of fun. Also, I had no idea Tommy Tallarico (yes, the guy who ruined Judgment Day on G4) was the main guy behind VGL. They played a bunch of material, including the "old game montage", SMB, Halo, Metroid, Zelda, Bioshock, MGS, etc.

They had the "Video Game Pianist" doing some of his work. The guy is a frelling genius on the piano. The audience gave him a standing ovation multiple times.

There were a few games in-between the show, with this kid trying to play Space Invaders by hitting a button and moving around back and forth to control the ship. The most interesting one was Guitar Hero:

They held a bunch of tourneys before the show to get the best GH player. They were showcasing the new GH: Aerosmith game. (Another thing I didn't know about Tommy: he's Steve Tyler's cousin, and he can play the guitar.) So, Tommy was playing rhythm, the orchestra playing the rest, and this guy was playing the actual GH guitar. They try setting it on "Hard", but the audience booed that one, and he set it on Expert. The first thing we noticed when he was playing was that the display was laggy.

He ended up losing on the solo part. Everybody cried out "LAG and CALIBRATE THE SCREEN", so he went into the calibration section. There, the entire audience was watching him calibrate the guitar. We even shout BLIP every time the little dots came down on the screen.

So, he plays the song a second time. Now, we notice that he's getting everything right except the orange button. The damn thing was broken. Eventually, he lost at the solo a 2nd time, and we shout that the orange button is broken. They just end up leaving at that, and give him the prize anyway. I'm sure somebody got reamed for that one.

Anyway, great show. Ended up playing One-Winged Angel and Castlevania for the encore. (For some reason, on both the OWA and Kingdom Hearts part, they couldn't show footage of the Square games.) I'd like to see how Play! stacks up.

#124307  by Zeus
 Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:36 am
Ain't ya happy Kup and I convinced you to go? I personally loved when they had the kids play Frogger and everyone in the audience is screaming "right, left...GO!" :-)

I've been lookin' at Play! to see when it comes back to my area. Ain't for a while, though, I don't think it's on the current sked. Only thing about that one is the tickets were almost $100 for the cheapest seats up here. That's why I didn't go the first time around a few years ago. I'll see if it's more reasonable when it comes back

Your concert had a few different songs than mine. He didn't play Castlevania at the end with us, it was just One-Winged Angel and Halo (the GH version). He mentioned that he changes the sets so it'll be nice when I go to the concert again in March. It's actually coming to my home town here so it's much closer and probably cheaper too.

#124541  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:08 pm
I do want to see Play at some point for the chance to see the more obscure but good songs. Like with Castlevania, it's just the entire series, but I really wanted to hear stuff from SotN. Good songs from Final Fantasy, Odin Sphere, etc. Get the stand out songs, not exactly the popular songs. Hell, I would be happy if they played anything by Satamoto/Iwata.