The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Blu Ray adoption lagging

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#124774  by Eric
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:31 pm
I mean it's such a worthless format. People in general don't really nit pick over something having a slightly sharper detail vs another. DVD vs Blu-ray is ironically similar to X-Box 360 vs Playstation 3, visually one is better then the other but the difference is so small you might as well go with the one that is cheaper, and readily available.

#124813  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:02 pm
Eric wrote:I mean it's such a worthless format. People in general don't really nit pick over something having a slightly sharper detail vs another. DVD vs Blu-ray is ironically similar to X-Box 360 vs Playstation 3, visually one is better then the other but the difference is so small you might as well go with the one that is cheaper, and readily available.
...until you make that big purchase of a 1080p screen.

#124817  by SineSwiper
 Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:08 pm
I'm sorry, but I have a 1080p TV. A 65 inch one at that. I can barely tell the difference between a 720p picture and a 1080p picture. In fact, my PC here is running on 720p (because the fonts are too small on the higher one).

I'm just happy when I get to see stuff in HD, instead of the standard 360p or 420p.

#124819  by kali o.
 Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:10 pm
I can tell the difference - both between 1080i/p and 720, but especially between HD and SD.

The problem with BluRay is inherant to both the name and the price. Most people don't know what the fuck Blu Ray really is and therefore can't justify the $50ish dollar vs $400ish dollar difference in cost for the player (nevermind the higher cost for movies).

Both these factors are evidenced by my mom who just happened to call me from Best Buy yesterday (she decided on a cheap DVD player).

That's what pisses me off about HD DVD. It was selling way better than BR (PS3 aside) and the prices had come down to where people could make the switch...of course, it was all a big ruse because one month later Toshiba pulled out (bullshit they didn't know that before they started dropping the prices).

#124833  by Mully
 Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:12 am
Question: What weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of iron?

Answer: 1080p is 1080p

Blu-ray isn't really about a better picture, but capacity.

A dual layer Blu-ray Disc can store up to 50 GB, and HD DVD up to 30 GB per disc.

60% larger capacity = more content.

#124835  by kali o.
 Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:31 pm
Mully wrote:Question: What weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of iron?

Answer: 1080p is 1080p

Blu-ray isn't really about a better picture, but capacity.

A dual layer Blu-ray Disc can store up to 50 GB, and HD DVD up to 30 GB per disc.

60% larger capacity = more content.
Allow me to put your confusing answer/question to the side...

I don't think you should turn this into a BR vs. HD DVD thread...but that said, 30gig or 50gig - doesn't much matter when it's only about 15 gigs needed for a 150 minutes of HD content (and neither filled up their discs to the brim with special features, which is all usually SD anyway).

HD DVD trumped BR with disc features and dvd compatibility, it was never about capacity. Even if you pretended that additional layers weren't possible for either format (it was), you simply end up in a 2-disc scenario for HD DVD -- pretending capacity was even issue in the next 10 years...

Warner and Walmart killed HD DVD, nothing else. But Toshiba knew the writing was on the wall during their early year price cuts.