The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• IGN: How Robin would work in future Batman films

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#125163  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:05 pm
Isn't it in Bale's contract that he can cancel his contract if Robin is due to be in the movie?

#125165  by Lox
 Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:48 pm
I hadn't heard that, but he had said he didn't want Robin to show up in the movies. I would rather them not bring Robin in either. The IGN article makes some good points (though the writer admits he'd rather they didn't include Robin in the 3rd movie either), but I just think there's more that can be don with Batman on his own without needing Robin to humanize him.

#125173  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 am
SineSwiper wrote:Isn't it in Bale's contract that he can cancel his contract if Robin is due to be in the movie?
Not that I've heard of. But he did come out and say "fuck that shit. If Robin's in it, I'm out".

But he's only signed on for #3 along with Nolan

#125174  by Kupek
 Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:15 am
From the article:
One last point before we wrap things up: fans should pay little attention to Christian Bale's suggestion that he'd never star in a movie involving Robin. As much as it pains us to admit it, it's unlikely that Bale or even Nolan will stick around much longer than a third film. DC and Warner Bros. are likely attempting to create a successful franchise with the same legs as the James Bond Films, which means future films – especially ones involving Robin – will likely fall into the hands of different filmmakers and stars. It goes without saying that the franchise should only be placed in the most capable of hands.
That was the entire problem with the old series. I don't think Burton's movies have aged as well as we would have expected, but they're still good movies. The Joel Schumacher ones are terrible. What happened is that they continued making Batman movies because they (the studios) knew they were money in the bank, not because they thought they'd make good movies.

What makes the recent Batman movies so damned good is the people behind them. Batman aside, Chris Nolan is making good movies. The recent Batman movies are his vision of Batman just as much as Dark Knight Returns and Year One is Frank Miller's vision of Batman. (Please, it's just an example, let's avoid the derailing discussion of Frank Miller quality.)

The only way for any post-Nolan Batman movies to be good is if they get someone who has as cohesive a vision of what kind of Batman story they want to tell.

#125175  by Eric
 Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:27 am
Kupek wrote:From the article:
One last point before we wrap things up: fans should pay little attention to Christian Bale's suggestion that he'd never star in a movie involving Robin. As much as it pains us to admit it, it's unlikely that Bale or even Nolan will stick around much longer than a third film. DC and Warner Bros. are likely attempting to create a successful franchise with the same legs as the James Bond Films, which means future films – especially ones involving Robin – will likely fall into the hands of different filmmakers and stars. It goes without saying that the franchise should only be placed in the most capable of hands.
That was the entire problem with the old series. I don't think Burton's movies have aged as well as we would have expected, but they're still good movies. The Joel Schumacher ones are terrible. What happened is that they continued making Batman movies because they (the studios) knew they were money in the bank, not because they thought they'd make good movies.

What makes the recent Batman movies so damned good is the people behind them. Batman aside, Chris Nolan is making good movies. The recent Batman movies are his vision of Batman just as much as Dark Knight Returns and Year One is Frank Miller's vision of Batman. (Please, it's just an example, let's avoid the derailing discussion of Frank Miller quality.)

The only way for any post-Nolan Batman movies to be good is if they get someone who has as cohesive a vision of what kind of Batman story they want to tell.
So what you're saying is, go go Uwe Boll and Matthew Mcconaughey?!

#125176  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:46 pm
Kup, I think nowadays, with the coin being made with these films, the fact that a lot of the litte kids reading comics have grown up and are filmmakers (Raimi, Synger, Nolan), and having the curators (Marvel and DC) having direct control of their product, you're probably gonna have a far better chance of another Spiderman (not the third) or Batman Begins than a Batman Forever.

Nolan and Bale have laid the groudwork and it would be nice if they stayed. But if they don't, there's still a decent chance of a good as opposed to putrid film

#125181  by Flip
 Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:47 pm
Its interesting how the mentioned franchises, Batman and Bond, are taking the more serious route. I think it is a good sign for Hollywood in general.

#125188  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:11 pm
Eric wrote:So what you're saying is, go go Uwe Boll and Matthew Mcconaughey?!
What, you're not one of the McConaughey as Captain America fans? :-)