The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Just watched The Day The Earth Stood Still

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #130098  by SineSwiper
 Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:35 am
The movie was really good. I haven't seen the original, but what I've heard about it, it seems like it keeps the general feel and story of the original, except with a modernized timeframe and improved FX. The only thing I didn't like was that it ended too short.

#130113  by Anarky
 Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:58 pm
I've seen both movies, though its been awhile since I've seen the original. If I remember correctly the original had a more concrete ending, and there were like no deaths...

It was enjoyable.

#130115  by Kupek
 Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:30 pm
Interesting. A friend of mine said he took one for the team by watching it, and felt it was his civic duty to warn everyone not to. He's normally forgiving on scif and fantasy.

#130120  by SineSwiper
 Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:54 pm
Anarky wrote:I've seen both movies, though its been awhile since I've seen the original. If I remember correctly the original had a more concrete ending, and there were like no deaths...
That's because it was 1950s. They couldn't kill people back then.

#130309  by Tessian
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:41 pm
It was a good movie (just saw it in imax myself), but I agree the ending SUCKED. Could they not have taken 5 minutes to make a decent ending? I felt like I was reading a book and someone tore out the Epilogue.

Other than the ending it was quite good. Didn't try to copy the classic but rather write an updated version. Reeves didn't do a bad job as an emotionless alien.

Oh-- and btw: the Watchmen will be in imax too ;)

#130493  by Kupek
 Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:43 pm
Entertaining, but not "good."

Also, bit of trivia: I recently read the end of Watchmen again, and after BIG SPOILER EVENT, a theater in NY is showing The Day The Earth Stood Still.

#130506  by Louis
 Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:53 pm
I thought this was an above average movie myself. I agree with everyone else though. The movie played out like a great massage without the "Happy Ending."