The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Wrestler

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#130306  by Zeus
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 am
Chris wrote:I only pay for things unless I've got press access. and I sure as fuck wouldn't pay for this one.....and I go see every movie I can......

by the way.....go watch the wrestler nd pay for it....I hate wrrestling but it's fucking amazing
I've actually been looking for that one. I've heard nothing but great things and Aronovsky makes good stuff

#130308  by Chris
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 am
if you can it's well worth the theatre money. I fucking loathe pro wrestling with an insane passion but my god Mickey Rourke acted the shit out of this one...just fantastic. look at it's tomatometer if you don't believe me......

#130310  by Zeus
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:57 pm
Chris wrote:if you can it's well worth the theatre money. I fucking loathe pro wrestling with an insane passion but my god Mickey Rourke acted the shit out of this one...just fantastic. look at it's tomatometer if you don't believe me......
Some movies I don't care what others say. Aranofsky's earned another one with me and I liked what I've read about what this one's about. Hell, even Mick Foley liked it :-)

#130311  by RentCavalier
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:43 pm
Aranofsky may be the most talented director currently making movies.

#130317  by SineSwiper
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:50 pm
I like him, but his movies aren't perfect. Requiem for a Dream ultimately failed to realistically portray his goal of showing addiction as something that anybody could do, considering the unrealistic direction. Pi suffered from that same bout of unrealism. The Fountain also didn't fair too well, among critics or the box office.

Overall, I think I like Christopher Nolan or Terry Gilliam better. But, really, it's better to pick out excellent movies than excellent directors. Directors will not always be consistent with greatness.

#130320  by M'k'n'zy
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:02 pm
I want to see it really bad but its not opening here in St. Louis until the middle of January

#130323  by RentCavalier
 Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:38 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I like him, but his movies aren't perfect. Requiem for a Dream ultimately failed to realistically portray his goal of showing addiction as something that anybody could do, considering the unrealistic direction. Pi suffered from that same bout of unrealism. The Fountain also didn't fair too well, among critics or the box office.

Overall, I think I like Christopher Nolan or Terry Gilliam better. But, really, it's better to pick out excellent movies than excellent directors. Directors will not always be consistent with greatness.
The Fountain may very well be the greatest movie ever made. It's ridiculously deep.

#130332  by Mully
 Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:49 am
SineSwiper wrote: or Terry Gilliam
Doesn't quite fit into his idea of "currently making movies." 2 movies in 8 years.
RentCavalier wrote: The Fountain may very well be the greatest movie ever made. It's ridiculously deep.
I agree, maybe not the "greatest movie ever made," but agree that it is deep.

Don't listen to critics. They usually can't get thru the open credits without expressing their opinion or sighing really loudly.

#130334  by SineSwiper
 Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:34 am
Mully wrote:Doesn't quite fit into his idea of "currently making movies." 2 movies in 8 years.
Not his fault. Blame the weather in Spain.

#130345  by Mully
 Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:08 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Mully wrote:Doesn't quite fit into his idea of "currently making movies." 2 movies in 8 years.
Not his fault. Blame the weather in Spain.
Don QuixLOLte.

#130741  by Anarky
 Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:23 pm
Saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. Tomei is still sooooo hot :D

I loved Rourke's line about how "That pussy Cobain" ruined it and the 90s sucked :)