The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Translation issues with Eyeshield 21

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #134007  by Don
 Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:04 pm
For Eric and anybody else who presumably will be following this in a language that isn't Chinese. I've been wondering if the sometimes hilarious dialogue in ES21 is because the Chinese translators suck (or more like are good, certainly adds a lot of fun). I'm looking at last week's duel between Panther and Sena and it reads like this (in Chinese)

Sena accelerates to lightspeed.

Panther accelerates to ultra lightspeed.

Sena uses Devil 4D.

However, since Panther has ultra lightspeed, his time isn't being reversed so he continues to tackle Sena anyway.

Sena says that because he is going lightspeed in reverse, to him even Patrick's ultra lightspeed looks like it's it's very slow going forward (lightspeed has the same speed in all frames of inertial reference, but whatever), so he was able to deflect the tackle.

Sena runs past Panther.

Panther turns around and uses Zero G Dash at ultra lightspeed speed and tackles Sena, forcing a fumble. Possession goes to Americans.

Now I'm curious if this dialogue sounds like a bad mix of relativity and science fiction in any other language, or is it just that way in Chinese?

#134008  by Eric
 Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:07 pm
The sarcasm is strong in you young Wang.

#134009  by Don
 Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:25 pm
In the latest volume, the 'buy the next volume' section has Sena doing the Devil 4D with a caption saying: "The true power of lightspeed can reverse even time."

Though I don't think ES21 will ever top Prince of Tennis's quote of: "Going at the speed of light exceeds the limitation of human beings." And here speed of light really refers to the speed of light as opposed to a metaphor.