The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Observe and Report

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #135174  by RentCavalier
 Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:38 am
That new Seth Rogan movie is very good, but not typical Seth Rogan faire at all. It's a black comedy, sort of like In Bruges--it has a serious story to tell, but it does so in a very funny way. You may find yourself laughing more nervously than most comedies--it's pretty bleak, actually, and it is VERY character-driven. Seth Rogan acts his ASS off, and it really shows his range.

Go see it, but be prepared for a rather twisted ride.
 #135181  by Chris
 Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am
RentCavalier wrote:That new Seth Rogan movie is very good, but not typical Seth Rogan faire at all. It's a black comedy, sort of like In Bruges--it has a serious story to tell, but it does so in a very funny way. You may find yourself laughing more nervously than most comedies--it's pretty bleak, actually, and it is VERY character-driven. Seth Rogan acts his ASS off, and it really shows his range.

It kind of scared me when people were cheering him in my theatre at some points. because he sure as fuck ain't a hero.....holy crap..
 #135198  by Mental
 Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:17 pm
Chris wrote:
RentCavalier wrote:That new Seth Rogan movie is very good, but not typical Seth Rogan faire at all. It's a black comedy, sort of like In Bruges--it has a serious story to tell, but it does so in a very funny way. You may find yourself laughing more nervously than most comedies--it's pretty bleak, actually, and it is VERY character-driven. Seth Rogan acts his ASS off, and it really shows his range.

It kind of scared me when people were cheering him in my theatre at some points. because he sure as fuck ain't a hero.....holy crap..
Yes.

The movie (which I haven't seen) strikes me as kind of Seth Rogen's version of "The Cable Guy"...the humor is there, but the emphasis is on the "weird, creepy, selfish and violent" thing.

Of course, even though Jason Segel was in my high school graduating class, I still haven't seen a single one of the Apatow/Rogen mafia's movies at all, and probably won't see this one. So there you go.

#135204  by RentCavalier
 Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:39 pm
I think the film's a bit too highbrow and artsy, despite Rogan's involvement, to really gather a big audience. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's kind of like In Bruges...but not as good.