The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• manga update

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #141941  by Don
 Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:56 pm
One Piece

One Piece is an unthinking man's manga. For the most part Dragonball has more sophistication in its battles. You generally just have two guys punch each other and then one guy wins after beating the other guy enough times. A classic example is when Luffy is fighting Mr. 3 and Mr. 3 made a bunch of wax clones, and Luffy just punched one and it was the real one, and Mr. 3 is like 'how did you know which is the real me?' and Luffy answered: "Instinct."

Now there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, except now apparently OP is going the thinking man's manga pace. As Sengoku is introduced as the 'Wise General" it is clear that the current arc supposed to revolve around strategy. However no character nicknamed as the 'Wise General' in the history of manga and anime has ever turned out to be a smart guy. Ravages of Time explains this the best when you see one side talk about how their 'Wise General' guy will totally own it and then next scene you see the guy's head rolling on the floor. Although not exactly the right context, Ravages of Time's philsophy of 'smart & strong is the weakest possible combination of superpower.' is almost a universal truth when it comes to fiction. You're either smart & weak, or you're dumb & strong. If you're both smart and strong, that just means you suck at both, unless you're Lu Bu or Merumu.

So going back to OP, right now the current story reads something out of Suikoden 2, like "We'll ambush them for the 25th time, they'll never see it coming." I think people just want to see two guys start punching each other to death for another 150 parts like the CP9 arc. That was what made OP good. Not this psudeo strategy stuff that makes Shu look like a master tactician from Suikoden 2.

Gambling Legend Zero + Keiji

Zero seems to be updated slowly so I picked up the precedessor (and still ongoing) Keiji. I came to realize both of these series are really like Yugioh where you are supposed to settle matters of life and death over trivial games, though in the case of Gambling Legend it's because the Japanese Mafia has a gun pointed at you forcing you to play say a game of rock paper scissor to decide your life. Looking at the Keiji series I also found out that the Mafia will chop off your hand/ear/leg/etc for losing games, and then for a fee they can glue it back on you, so the Japanese Mafia must have pretty amazing technology.

Though once you get past the ridiculous notion of why they're doing this in the first place, the story and even the game itself is surprisingly good. Like I mentioned, Keiji ends very predictably because he is already playing against unbeatable odds so it's pretty clear he has to cheat by switching the cards at some point, though it's not predictable in a bad way. It's kind of like playing Lufia 2 knowing Maxim's going to die but the game is still good even knowing that.

The Legend of the Great Hero

This is actually the correct title, and it's a sequel to The Legend of the Super Hero. You'd think with a name like this it'd suck, but it's actually surprising good. I'm really not sure what motivated the author to pick a title that basically says, "Don't buy this, I can't even take the time to think of a good title" when it's actually not. Well, it's from Hong Kong, so it has like a 99.9% chance it'll be pirated anyway, so maybe he didn't care that nobody was going to buy it anyway. I doubt you'll ever see it in any US sites since they don't carry Hong Kong stuff, not to mention it's a sequel that actually does rely on you having read the first part, but if for some chance you come across it, it's actually pretty good!