The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Lucas can kiss my ARSE!

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #153985  by Mully
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:01 pm
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2011/09/geor ... eservi.php

Back in 1988, Lucas delivered a speech to Congress--as dug up and recounted by Peter Lopez and SaveStarWars (via)--declaring the need to federally protect films from being altered, because, as he saw it, "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians." Ut oh, George, I think you might have altered art at some point! In the statement--spoken before any of his Special Edition revisions, back when Lucas could still comfortably button his shirts--Lucas, I should note, was specifically referring to outside parties being granted the right to make alterations, like adding an add for Zookeeper to a series, for example; he makes it clear that those rights should still be reserved for the artists themselves. But considering how Lucas isn't even the screenwriter nor director for two of "his" films, and looking at the way he passionately speaks of preserving films, as-is, for future generations, his words still hold a nice little irony swamp for you to soak in with CGI Yoda.
 #153988  by Lox
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 pm
This is exactly why I refuse to buy Star Wars on Blu-ray. I can't stand the newer versions of the movies with his extra scenes (like the dance scene in Jabba's Palace) and these other changes are just ridiculous.

I really think that Lucas' problem is that the two movies that people love the most are the ones he had the least creative control over and it makes him mad. So, instead of just accepting that he's a terrible writer and director, he decides to take dumps on the movies.
 #153990  by Don
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:32 pm
I'm not sure if these altered stuff were benficial to the Star Wars franchise. Sure I guess you can say you have to have something different to sell the same thing 5 times, but I think most people who bought those would have bought it anyway even if it was exactly the same as the original simply because devices become obselete over time.
 #153992  by Shrinweck
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:00 pm
I think we all agree that they should just remake the original trilogy with Justin Bieber as Skywalker already.
 #153997  by Zeus
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:28 pm
Jedi was NOT more loved than A New Hope. But Empire is considered the best of the original trilogy
 #154003  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 pm
Starwars.... yeah.... but you know:

Oh, and Starwars was racist.... as Hooper X explains