The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Filibuster meets manga

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #154383  by Don
 Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:44 pm
This week's HXH returns to your standard ad hominem level of quality (i.e. you should stop reading HXH because Togashi is a bad person, even though everyone already knows Togashi is a bad person). I find it really interesting is that the selection for the next president of the Hunter's Association comes with a ridiculous filibuster clause and most people don't even realize it. In the real life, the US Senate requires a 60% majority to break a filibuster, and we know how efficient this organization is. Netero just required a 95% majority to break the filibuster on the election of the president of Hunter's Association (he requires 95% attendence, but since people can just lie and say they're sick it might as well be the same). I don't know if it's because people don't think very hard, or that they don't pay attention to politics. The United States barely avoided financial armageddon on the debt limit and I think that requires only a simple majority (50%+). The world of HXH is supposed to closely mirror that of the real life, so basically this week's chapter might as well be retitled 'Welcome to political hell'. It's pretty clear Netero's goal is to completely paralyze the association from doing anything because there's no conceiveable way anybody can get a 95% super duper majority to overcome the attendence rule. I see people discussing what intrigue will we see to get the last few % of votes for a majority. No, the only interesting thing you'll see is when readers complain why we are on the 80th week of the same thing showing how the 935rd vote for the presidency again failed to reach a 95% attendence requirement. Not that this is bad. It's actually pretty interesting and it's consistent with HXH's theme of 'life isn't fair', 'life sucks', and 'if you're not cheating you're not trying hard enough'.

I'm betting that if the presidency is won by an existing character, it'd be Irumi. He's got 5 generation of assassination history in his family, which means he has no political alliances. President Irumi only murders those who are much weaker than him, and only provides his service to the highest bidder. No need to fear a deadly Reign of Terror since he's a calm assassin who never sheds blood needlessly without money involved.