The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Eclipse dropped Full Metal?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #147316  by Zeus
 Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:29 pm
Eclipse's website has been down for a bit but they were still releasing Full Metal through Nyaatorrents. I assumed it was because they wanted to avoid the C&Ds but they didn't come out with #62. Anyone know anything 'bout this? Did they officially drop it?
 #147318  by Shrinweck
 Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 pm
They dropped it because it got licensed and Funimation is trying to get all the subbers to stop.
 #147320  by Zeus
 Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 pm
Shrinweck wrote:They dropped it because it got licensed and Funimation is trying to get all the subbers to stop.
Too bad, they had great subs. Now I'll have to settle....

EDIT: Good, it's only going to be 63 eps. My cuz and I were wondering how the hell they were gonna stretch it any further so it's good it's ending soon. Man, sure sucks we had to get a new sub group for the last 2 eps only. Reminds of what happened with Death Note. Sine, that last ep is coming on Monday so you can start watching it now that it's done.
 #147321  by Eric
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:32 am
Yeah, let's stop subbing something 2 episodes before it ends.

Subbers can be retarded at times.
 #147323  by Shrinweck
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:46 am
Well, it is the honorable thing to do.. most companies enjoy what the subbers do until it gets licensed. In the past when this has happened they usually keep releasing subs under a joke name but that usually happens under bigger releases (i.e. Gundam series)
 #147328  by Eric
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:15 am
As a side-note, this is probably the closest an anime has ever gotten to a manga with the anime version of the finale being animated a little over 2 weeks after the manga came out.

Chapter 106 - The Abyss of Pride Apr 9th, 2010
Chapter 107 - The Final Battle May 11th, 2010
Chapter 108 - The Journey's End Jun 12th, 2010

61 "He Who Would Swallow God" June 13, 2010 (Chapter 106)
62 "A Fierce Counterattack" June 20, 2010(Chapter 107)
63 "The Other Side of the Gateway" June 27, 2010(Chapter 108 pt1)
64 "Finale" July 4, 2010(Chapter 108 pt2)
 #147333  by Don
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:50 pm
There's nothing honorable about subbing in the first place so I see no reason why you got to pretend it does anything to stop subbing on the last 2 episodes. I mean so someone pick up the rights and all the other episodes you subbed is just going to magically self-destruct, but had you subbed 2 more episodes that'd be untolerable? You're doing illegal stuff either way so you might as well finish the job. It's not like if someone wanted to sue you they'd change their mind because you didn't sub the last 2 episodes.
 #147334  by Eric
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:56 pm
Don wrote:There's nothing honorable about subbing in the first place so I see no reason why you got to pretend it does anything to stop subbing on the last 2 episodes. I mean so someone pick up the rights and all the other episodes you subbed is just going to magically self-destruct, but had you subbed 2 more episodes that'd be untolerable? You're doing illegal stuff either way so you might as well finish the job. It's not like if someone wanted to sue you they'd change their mind because you didn't sub the last 2 episodes.
And yeah this.
 #147336  by Shrinweck
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:17 pm
A lot of the companies that handle licensing reportedly actually like what the subbers do. It generates excitement for a product no one would have heard about otherwise. There are also quite a few series that don't make it to the states for various reasons and getting any exposure to those is always a treat.

As far as piracy goes it's piracy lite.

The people who own the product asked them to stop and they stopped. It isn't all that complicated an issue.
 #147338  by Don
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:32 pm
Yes as if nobody can tell Naruto was going to get licensed for America so we need the subbers to spread the buzz. Pretty much everything of interest is licensed these days. Given most Anime ends up at least available in subbed form if this actually works the same company that licensed it can always give away the subbed version for free.

The reason why this kind of behavior is tolerated is that it'd be literally impossible to stop so they might as well not worry about it, and unless you're licensing something that's super popular it probably isn't worth the effort to stop the 175 guys who would've bought your stuff if no subbed version was available. I mean seriously you have something that's subbed 62 out of 64 episodes. So now that it is licensed the first 62 episodes just magically self-destruct and nobody can ever get it again? If you say those 62 episodes which is basically the entirety of the series doesn't harm the company financially then how can 2 more episodes have such a profound effect? If these subs really don't harm the licensee then having 62 or 64 doesn't matter. If they do harm the licensee then you have already done most of the damage anyway so what's the point to say you'll stop at 62 instead of 64?
 #147340  by Zeus
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:23 pm
Don, what market do you think there would be for Naruto in North America without the fansubbers? There's a reason they're usually allowed to go on for so long, they create the market for these shows
 #147343  by Don
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:51 pm
A popular series in Japan that features ninjas beating each other up would never catch on in America. It must have been a huge risk to gamble on something that was consistently top 5 in popularity in both its Anime and Manga form. I mean we're not talking about people rolling the dice on Erementar Gerad or Saint Seiya G or any other thing you may have never heard before here.

And again whatever weird perception you may have toward fansub doesn't even matter here. If it was somehow totally good for everyone to do the first 60 episodes it's still totally good for everyone to do the next 5 episodes after that. If it was totally bad for everyone to do the first 60 episodes then stopping it at 60 when the whole thing ends at 65 isn't exactly doing any kind of damage control. Either you believe whatever you did has no effect (or is even good) and keep going, or if you believe whatever you did was bad you're certainly not going to quit in the final stretch because you already done more than enough to get sued. Your stance on whether fansub is good or not cannot possibly change between say, the 62nd episode and the 63th episode.
 #147345  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:06 pm
Don wrote:A popular series in Japan that features ninjas beating each other up would never catch on in America. It must have been a huge risk to gamble on something that was consistently top 5 in popularity in both its Anime and Manga form.
In its current form, yes, it would have never caught on. It's a fucking kids show about some annoying kid with a female voice actress pretending to be a ninja, and it caters to ten-year-olds. It might be interesting, but it seems like it's censored quite a bit. It's sort of like that Dragon Ball Z show with the female villian that is after some Dragon Balls that grant wishes. I saw that this morning and was watching it with my 9-month-old son. He seemed interested, but then again he gets interested at Glenn Beck, and the voice acting sucked dragon balls.

This would be Naruto without fansubbing. Believe it!
 #147353  by Eric
 Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:58 am
SineSwiper wrote:It's sort of like that Dragon Ball Z show with the female villian that is after some Dragon Balls that grant wishes. I saw that this morning and was watching it with my 9-month-old son. He seemed interested, but then again he gets interested at Glenn Beck, and the voice acting sucked dragon balls.
Puff puff pass Sine.
 #147358  by SineSwiper
 Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:18 pm
What? The first and second seasons of DBZ had horrible voice acting, and if you actually think about the plot, it really does sound like a Saturday morning kids show.
 #147362  by Zeus
 Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:19 pm
Don wrote:A popular series in Japan that features ninjas beating each other up would never catch on in America. It must have been a huge risk to gamble on something that was consistently top 5 in popularity in both its Anime and Manga form. I mean we're not talking about people rolling the dice on Erementar Gerad or Saint Seiya G or any other thing you may have never heard before here.

And again whatever weird perception you may have toward fansub doesn't even matter here. If it was somehow totally good for everyone to do the first 60 episodes it's still totally good for everyone to do the next 5 episodes after that. If it was totally bad for everyone to do the first 60 episodes then stopping it at 60 when the whole thing ends at 65 isn't exactly doing any kind of damage control. Either you believe whatever you did has no effect (or is even good) and keep going, or if you believe whatever you did was bad you're certainly not going to quit in the final stretch because you already done more than enough to get sued. Your stance on whether fansub is good or not cannot possibly change between say, the 62nd episode and the 63th episode.
One of these days I'll have to sit you down and explain how things like the basics of business marketing work....if you wanna hear it. Then you'll truly understand why fansub groups are nowadays, for the most part, left alone until a certain strategic point in time. Remember, this happened with Death Note as well and Naruto and Bleach fansub groups aren't exactly targeted too hard by the respective licensees. There's a reason for all this that can be explained by one simple concept: profit. As of right now, I do not have the time or patience to attempt to break through your hardline stance and explain it.
 #147363  by Zeus
 Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:22 pm
Sine, did you start watching this yet? Seriously, a man with a transmutation circle tatoo should not in any which way, shape, or form miss out on the ultimate anime version of this manga. It's phenomenal right from the beginning and only gets better and better as the series goes along. By the time you catch up the final ep will be out.
 #147428  by Zeus
 Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:48 pm
Zeus wrote:Sine, did you start watching this yet? Seriously, a man with a transmutation circle tatoo should not in any which way, shape, or form miss out on the ultimate anime version of this manga. It's phenomenal right from the beginning and only gets better and better as the series goes along. By the time you catch up the final ep will be out.
Sine, it's complete now. Still haven't started? Here's the link for the full series:

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torre ... tid=141758
 #147468  by Zeus
 Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:04 pm
I really enjoyed the last few eps. What a great series this one was, right up there with Death Note as my fav limited series.
 #155231  by Shrinweck
 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 am
I finally just now got around to finishing up this series. I agree about it ending well. Great job tying everything up. It's so rare that this is done in anime that goes further than twenty-six episodes.