The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Is there a TV set top box you can copy DVDs to?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #155585  by Flip
 Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm
I was sitting around the other day (and this might sound really lazy) and i wanted to pop in a Mr. Show DVD to watch, but then decided its a huge pain in the ass to wait for it to load, get through the beginning bullshit to the menu, then start playing the DVD. I watched stuff on the DVR instead because you click it, and boom, it plays with no problem.

Why dont they make something where i can spend a few hours to copy and load up all my DVD's to, then i can have instant access like a DVR? Maybe they do make something and I just dont know it.
 #155586  by Blotus
 Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:14 pm
I used to stream media from my PC to my 360/PS3. Now I just run an HDMI from my Macbook to the receiver. You could just rip all your DVDs to your PC, transcode them to something those systems recognize (Xvid AVI definitely... don't know if they recognize h264 MOVs or MP4s, but they SHOULD), and play 'em over wifi using Media Center or via HDMI, DVI (with a separate audio out), or something else. There are soooo many options.

I'm pretty sure what you're talking about does exist. I've definitely seen glorified hard drives with remotes labeled media centers.