The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Sopranos

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #155954  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:27 pm
So I finished the series last night and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I had to laugh at the end though.
 #155955  by Zeus
 Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:03 pm
Everyone did. It was Chase doin' his "artistic" ending, it was silly
 #155960  by kali o.
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:38 pm
I liked it. It worked on a lot of levels.
Spoiler: show
It's not like we don't actually know what happened (he's dead), Chase just didn't feed into the viewers need for a gruesome scene. The series was primarily about (and through) Tony. With his end, the viewers involvement ends.
Again, I really really liked it.
 #155961  by Zeus
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:42 pm
kali o. wrote:I liked it. It worked on a lot of levels.
It's not like we don't actually know what happened (he's dead), Chase just didn't feed into the viewers need for a gruesome scene. The series was primarily about (and through) Tony. With his end, the viewers involvement ends.
Again, I really really liked it.
Problem is:
It was far too predictable and expected. It's the whole "can't let the bad guy win" formulaic ending just presented differently. I hated it....then again, I thought the last two seasons were relatively weak when compared to the first 5
 #155962  by kali o.
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:03 pm
Zeus wrote: Problem is:
It was far too predictable and expected. It's the whole "can't let the bad guy win" formulaic ending just presented differently. I hated it....then again, I thought the last two seasons were relatively weak when compared to the first 5
I'm not totally sure what that means.
I didn't find it predictable, except in the sense everyone knew Tony was going to die in the end. He spent 8 years narrowly escaping death and you can tell Chase really starts building on the finale as early as season 4. So Chase had two options: give everybody the gruesome death & closure they wanted, or end it with a measure of artistry. And you know what? For me, in the final few minutes, I was expecting something totally fucked up in the diner - I looked forward to it even. When it cut to black, I checked my TV and was like "wtf?!" too. But I really don't think it could have ended better -- all that matters is we know Tony died. Anything more simplistic would have just been fan service to people that wanted some blood after 8 years of cheering Tony on.
At least that's my take. But I also really liked the last two seasons (well, I think we both mean both parts of season six). For me, it could not have ended better. A happily ever after ending or one that just plays to the violence would not have left me with the same measure of fondness for what I think we all agree was a very smart series.
 #155963  by Shrinweck
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:22 pm
Yeah I look back on the series with fondness but I'm not sure if I'll ever feel like watching the series over again. I got a certain amount of satisfaction out of the end since I bet it would drive a ton of people crazy.
 #155966  by Zeus
 Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 am
kali o. wrote:
Zeus wrote: Problem is:
I'm not totally sure what that means.
I didn't find it predictable, except in the sense everyone knew Tony was going to die in the end. He spent 8 years narrowly escaping death and you can tell Chase really starts building on the finale as early as season 4. So Chase had two options: give everybody the gruesome death & closure they wanted, or end it with a measure of artistry. And you know what? For me, in the final few minutes, I was expecting something totally fucked up in the diner - I looked forward to it even. When it cut to black, I checked my TV and was like "wtf?!" too. But I really don't think it could have ended better -- all that matters is we know Tony died. Anything more simplistic would have just been fan service to people that wanted some blood after 8 years of cheering Tony on.
At least that's my take. But I also really liked the last two seasons (well, I think we both mean both parts of season six). For me, it could not have ended better. A happily ever after ending or one that just plays to the violence would not have left me with the same measure of fondness for what I think we all agree was a very smart series.
Well:
In any TV show or movie, if there's a "bad guy" as a lead character, he can't win. It's like a rule. And make no mistake about it, Tony was a bad person. It would almost have been nice to not have him die as it was predictable from Season 1 that it was going to happen.

What they did a very poor job of in the last two seasons (I don't care if he calls them Part 1 and Part 2, it's two separate seasons when they're 12 eps each) is the power struggle with New York. He gave it lip service while focusing on Tony getting shot (and EVERYONE knew he wasn't dead; spent WAAAY too much time on that) and Junior being coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs. He had spent 5 years building up a ton of backstory and conflicts which ended with a wimper. It's not that it was particularly poorly done, it was more that it just was barely done. Did I want Pauli and Chris (another poor death; it was almost like they had no idea what to do with him) to reconcile and start a power struggle with Tony? Not at all, I was kinda happy those storylines fizzled.

I have no personal opinion of how it "should" have happened, I just didn't like what actually did happen. Like I said, very predictable ending done in an artistic way, yes, but still very predictable. You wanna see a great ending to a TV show, watch Six Feet Under. Best ending of any show in TV history.
 #155967  by kali o.
 Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:03 pm
Zeus wrote: Well:
In any TV show or movie, if there's a "bad guy" as a lead character, he can't win. It's like a rule. And make no mistake about it, Tony was a bad person. It would almost have been nice to not have him die as it was predictable from Season 1 that it was going to happen.

What they did a very poor job of in the last two seasons (I don't care if he calls them Part 1 and Part 2, it's two separate seasons when they're 12 eps each) is the power struggle with New York. He gave it lip service while focusing on Tony getting shot (and EVERYONE knew he wasn't dead; spent WAAAY too much time on that) and Junior being coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs. He had spent 5 years building up a ton of backstory and conflicts which ended with a wimper. It's not that it was particularly poorly done, it was more that it just was barely done. Did I want Pauli and Chris (another poor death; it was almost like they had no idea what to do with him) to reconcile and start a power struggle with Tony? Not at all, I was kinda happy those storylines fizzled.

I have no personal opinion of how it "should" have happened, I just didn't like what actually did happen. Like I said, very predictable ending done in an artistic way, yes, but still very predictable. You wanna see a great ending to a TV show, watch Six Feet Under. Best ending of any show in TV history.
Ok...
You wanted an unpredictable happy ending for the bad guy -- I admit, that would have come outta nowhere. I still have no idea what you mean when you say a lot of things (such as things fizzling) but whatever -- take Chris's death, we totally disagree on that too. It was pretty perfect - Chris was always a reflection of Tony. If we can't agree on that, or the ending, we probably won't agree on anything else.
I actually haven't watched Six Feet Under. I plan too. I've also skipped Breaking Bad until it's done. I like skipping dramatic series and then going back to watch them without the annoying season breaks. I didn't actually watch an episode of Sopranos until mid season 5.
 #155969  by Zeus
 Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:03 am
You can skip Breaking Bad, it's so disappointing it's insane. As for Six Feet, may be the best show HBO put out. I will warn you in advance: get past Season 3. You will be a little pissed at it during that season (I won't go into detail why) but fight through it, the last two seasons are amazing
 #155970  by Shrinweck
 Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 am
Not getting into another argument about how ridiculously amazing Breaking Bad is or isn't, but make up your own mind, kali :P
 #156051  by maymilky
 Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:09 am
Everyone did. It was Chase doin' his "artistic" ending, it was silly

#156053  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 am
Wow how did he come up with that insight?
 #156054  by kali o.
 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 am
Shrinweck wrote:Wow how did he come up with that insight?
It only appears *smart* for a bot if you fail to notice it just copied zeus' post.
 #156055  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:07 am
I was being sarcastic. Cut me a little slack here :P

Edit: Lol, I like your change to the sig
 #156056  by kali o.
 Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:13 am
Shrinweck wrote:I was being sarcastic. Cut me a little slack here :P

Edit: Lol, I like your change to the sig
Oh, I just assumed you didn't notice. I actually did a double take at first and thought maybe I just banned a real new person stupid enough to put gold links in their sig.

As for the sig, hopefully next time it won't be 2am and I can conjure up more creative editing. ;)
 #156057  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:39 pm
These bots are becoming self-aware?
 #156064  by Shellie
 Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 am
haha here I thought for sure we got a new person!
 #156065  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:24 pm
kali o. wrote:
Shrinweck wrote:Wow how did he come up with that insight?
It only appears *smart* for a bot if you fail to notice it just copied zeus' post.
That proves it's a smart bot ;-)