The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Sword Arts Online is morally reprehensible

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #157149  by Don
 Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 pm
There are some pretty messed up manga out there but SAO really makes me wonder how they're even able to sell this kind of stuff in Japan without even an 18+ tag even though it's far sicker than say Berserk or Tsukihime or To Love Ru Darkness. The story is about your 'hardcore MMORPG', i.e. you die in the game you die in real life and obviously you can't quit. So the main character cybers with this girl offscreen and then toward the end they exchanged their real life info after beating the game and it turns out the guy is 16 and the girl is 17. I thought there's some kind of law against underage cybering, and even if there isn't one this still feels totally wrong. Can't they do a standard 'everyone is totally 18, seriously' deal like every other manga that involves underage characters?

But that's not the only messed up part. After beating this MMORPG that started out with 10000 players and half of them died, the guy who created the game pulls a Krellian and said he always wanted to create a model world and now he's moving on to a higher plane of existence to seek a true utopia, and the main couple are all like, "Yeah that guy had a great dream" even though he just killed 4000 people in a MMORPG experiment. You see, Krellian was already a God so he gets to talk about how since there's no God he has to become one to forgive himself of his sins and he's free to leave this plane of existence. I don't think the game ever tried to convince you that Krellian was a good guy and more importantly he already has Godlike powers so it's not like you could've stopped him from ascending to a higher plane of existence. This guy here is actually just a totally normal MMORPG developer who decided it'd be fun to kill half of the guys playing his hit MMORPG. He doesn't even have any super powers to fall back on.

And of course the concept itself is ridculous how these guys playing a MMORPG never figured out the guy who never has his health drop below 50% was actually a GM because it is totally normal to see MMORPG players that never dip below 50% health. Or that they talk about a 'closed beta' tester as if that even means anything in today. The whole thing is basically an insult to MMORPG and probably written by someone who was on the FF14 developer team, because it's not clear to me whoever wrote this has ever played a MMORPG at all.