The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Erementar Gerad Blue V7

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #158061  by Don
 Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 pm
Picked this up this week, and I looked up the publish date it's nearly 2 years since V6. This is one of the few manga I started collecting merely for the artistic value (easily the best cover ever out of all manga) but inexplicably the story actually turned out to be pretty decent. In V7, our heroine, Acheawhateverhernameis, was about to be raped by her childhood idol Idura (I think 12 is too young to have children, but whatever), and then she pulled an evil Ryu with the whole Black Sun blood awakening and starting doing raging demon on everything. Although there's some hint of this dark self within Achea since the beginning it's never quite clear if she's supposed to be the sunny girl or the Black Sun, and although Erementar Gerad is fairly ungraphic as manga go, the description is probably just as nasty as stuff that tries to impress you with these things, as Achea ends up ripping someone's hand off, rip out Idura's eyeball, stabbed him repeatedly before finally killing him. She also had a really awesome line: "Life is so beautiful, it makes me want to end it." She's also the first human character that can defeat a human + Edel pair (the transforming girl stuff). We also know she's not even anywhere near her peak (she's only 12) and that she doesn't have her Erementar, let alone become fused with one (apparently the Black Sun needs the Black gemstone or something), and during this one sided beatdown you pretty have everyone else just hiding in a corner because Princess of the Black Sun only exists to snuff out the life force of all living things. The final title, "The Princess of the Black Sun Hungers", captures the story rather well. You basically have your young idealistic heroine became the last boss in one volume, and it actually makes a lot of sense. All along it's really not clear why the Orga Night is supposed to be the bad guys. You know they have one of the 7 glittering jewels (retconned to two), and the songbird girl (retconned from ice elemental to something else, probably life) is unfathomably powerful but the songbird girl also looks like a damsel in distress and generally this implies she cannot be totally bad. Now it seems like this whole new concept of the Black Sun is much stronger than Orga Night, and it even ties pretty well with the fact that Orga Night had one of the ultra rare Light attribute Edels (Norma).

It'll be pretty interesting moving forward to see how many of the 7 glittering jewels is needed to defeat the Black Sun. Of course I'm guessing Black Sun Achea still has like 2 more levels of transformation to use (she didn't use her Edel which is one of the 7 glittering jewels too let alone fuse with it).