The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Independence Day 2 and Star Trek Beyond trailers

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #167299  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:49 am
Star Trek Beyond

Who is that enemy? It's a coalition of enemies, kind of like the Dominion, and one of the species that she's fighting around the 55 mark look a lot like Jem'Hadar; could the 1:09 guy be some sort of re-imagining of the Vorta? The Vorta were supposed to be genetically modified, so they may have fixed their heads and ears to look different. Also, that angry looking guy at 1:05 looks more like a Delta Quadrant species, a bit like a Saurian or a Hirogen; the ridges look like a Hirogen helmet at least - speaking of Hirogen, there're fully armoured guys at 1:10 that resemble the Hirogen, although the armour is smoother and less Predatory. Anyway, I am getting a huge Farscape vibe from the trailer, this movie could be a lot of fun. It goes without saying, the classic Trek fans are nerd raging right now. So far the action directing looks a lot better than the end of Into Darkness, but I mostly didn't like it because the big payuoff was "Guess what everybody, I am Khan! Khan! Do you care?" I didn't. Simon Pegg was the screen writer, and I have more faith in him actually coming up with something that's actually interesting for the ending payoff; while we know him primarily as an actor, he has done an extensive amount of writing, and even with low budgets has done a really good job - he's also a huge Star Trek geek.

Whatever the story, it looks like they're getting stuck on a planet, this happens in several of the classic Star Trek films; so it is probably something much smaller scale than the Dominion. There are definitely a lot of questions, and only slippery speculation so far.

I can't believe they played that terrible bastardized Dylan Thomas speech through the trailer. Otherwise, this could be interesting. Roland Emmerich films tend to be highly predictable because he uses the exact same plot structure in every single film. I can guarantee you at the end of the film, the world will be about to be destroyed just when the day is saved in the nick of time, and someone or two will be sacrificed in the process. When you're watching the film, he'll give a clear hint as to what will be the reason for humanity almost being destroyed, and who the character(s) are who will die; if I were a betting man, I'd say Bill Pullman's character dies - probably while piloting a ship and blowing something up winning a crucial victory, getting caught in the explosion or being the cause of its detonation. I don't think they'll kill Goldblum, but who knows? Bill Pullman dying may be the escalation device, and Goldblum the heroic sacrifice.
 #167342  by Shrinweck
 Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:53 pm
Star Trek looks fine. I wasn't crazy about the other two movies but they're worth a view or two. UNREALISTIC HIGH HOPES FOR THE UPCOMING TV SHOW HERE.

I was completely uninterested in Independence Day 2 but it could be good.
 #167356  by Shrinweck
 Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:30 pm
A good aliens versus humans movie can be pretty bad and still fun enough to watch.

And Star Trek has always been somewhat annoying in how it tries to cater to the younger demo, but, eh, there has just been so little Star Trek recently that it's appealing to me just to see a new interpretation of it.
 #167357  by kali o.
 Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:36 pm
I loved the first Star Trek reboot. I liked the 2nd...but it felt a little unfocused.

The trailer makes it appear like Bay is directing the 3rd or something. When has Star Trek been about balls out action sequences?
 #167358  by Shrinweck
 Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:57 pm
I guess you're right. Hopefully it's just the editing. Like a 'comedy' trailer has a couple super funny jokes and then you go see it and the trailer's funny jokes were literally the only funny things in the movie.