The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Man The Mummy Returns ruled, I especially enjoyed Acts II & III, errrr I mean the Desert and Oasis. :P

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#44762  by SineSwiper
 Sun May 20, 2001 12:46 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", Modern; text-align: left; '>Blah...the unrealistic nature of the whole movie bothered me. A decent movie, but they went a little too far.</div>
 #44766  by Tessian
 Sun May 20, 2001 3:36 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion, Modern; text-align: left; '>By that I mean if you first gotta believe the legends and everyone's powers and reincarnation.. it wasn't a realistic movie to begin with,, they're not trying to make you believe it's real.
Enjoy it, rather than criticize it's authenticity in reality</div>

#44775  by Zeus
 Mon May 21, 2001 11:02 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Arial bold"; text-align: left; '>I'll go so far as to say it blew. I tried to like it, I really did, but the computer animation at the end put me over the edge</div>
 #44777  by SineSwiper
 Mon May 21, 2001 1:00 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Believing that a balloon in the middle of nowhere can get repaired and gassed in one day, just in time to save them (at the right moment, of course), is another. Also, you had "Hey Billy! We need to outrun the fucking sun!" I'm sorry, but the speed of light is faster than that. And her mother dying was the worse. Oh damn...she died. That's okay, we can just use the Book of the Dead! I'm fine with an Egyptian mage resurrecting somebody, but this little kid that can't pronounce everything right, is going a bit far.

I'd have more fun with an Indiana Jones movie. More intelligent action there. No lack of realism and no cliches.</div>

#44778  by SineSwiper
 Mon May 21, 2001 1:01 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Ummmm...what's wrong with computer animation?</div>
 #44784  by Tessian
 Mon May 21, 2001 6:07 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>But it was so blunt and obvious that I don't think they were trying to hide the fact that it's not realistic. We all know you can't watch the sun light creeping behind you, and even the pilot said he didn't have a chance of repairing the balloon unless he found some oil. I also think the lack of reaction from the kid seeing his mother die was pretty sad. I mean, if I was 12 and I saw my mom get stabbed to death in front of my eyes.. I'd be pretty freakin messed up. Too messed up to read Egyptian too :)

So the sun thing was just silly to create suspense, even if later most realize it was completely unrealistic.
As for the balloon being repaired.. they never explained how he fixed it, but also I don't think there was any other way for them to effectively end the movie.. does seem kinda poorly done. Coulda at least made the pilot say he could fix it, or "Hey look! It's an oil geyser!" or somethign,, ahh well. Easy enough to simply overlook in light that the rest of the movie was great</div>

#44788  by Zeus
 Mon May 21, 2001 10:15 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "Arial bold"; text-align: left; '>I love computer animation, I was referring to the horrendous computer animation in Mummy Returns</div>

#44790  by Eric
 Mon May 21, 2001 11:26 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>You're being to goddamn picky.</div>

#44800  by SineSwiper
 Tue May 22, 2001 1:57 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>No shit!</div>

#44811  by Kupek
 Wed May 23, 2001 1:04 am
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Outrunning the sun has to do with the speed that the earth is rotating, not the speed of light. But anyway, you'd have to go about 5,000 mph, so it's not happening.</div>

#44847  by Zeus
 Thu May 24, 2001 6:51 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Arial bold"; text-align: left; '>Yeah, I know. THat powerfully fake Scorpian King at the end with a horribly animated face of The Rock really is nothing to bitch about</div>

#44849  by WolfSamurai
 Thu May 24, 2001 9:47 am
<div style='font: 14pt Agatha; text-align: left; '>It was infinately preferable to the real thing.</div>