The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Radiohead: Amnesiac

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #45104  by Gentz
 Sat Jun 02, 2001 2:09 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I've been downloading some of the songs off this album. From what I have it seems a lot more lyric/guitar based than Kid A was, but still with a lot of the techno-ish stuff in the mix too, as well as a good dose of insanity. All the songs from this album and Kid A were written at the same time, but Amnesiac sounds like a stage in evolution right in between OK Computer and Kid A. Really cool stuff.</div>

#45105  by Torgo
 Sat Jun 02, 2001 4:02 am
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>If it's more guitar based, I think I'll give it a listen.</div>

#45106  by S.Cody2
 Wed Jun 13, 2001 6:35 am
<div style='font: 11pt "Copperplate Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Amnesiac is more like Kid B. If you're expecting classic Radiohead you're gonna be disappointed. I like a few songs,and I really dislike Pulk/Pull.</div>

#45115  by Gentz
 Fri Jun 15, 2001 1:30 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I really don't think so. It's very much like Kid A on a lot of points, but it's so much more accessible. Best Radiohead album so far, in my opinion</div>
 #45116  by S.Cody2
 Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:15 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Copperplate Gothic"; text-align: left; '>They're diving further into uncharted territory from which they can't completely return. But they, as always, don't seem to care. Pulk and Pull is far less friendly than anything on Kid A, I think.</div>
 #45118  by Gentz
 Fri Jun 15, 2001 11:53 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>"more accessible" as in you can pick it up without having ever heard Radiohead before and not go "what the fuck?" quite as much as with Kid A (accent on "quite." heh).

I think Kid A is further into the "uncharted territory" than Amnesiac. Amnesiac has a lot more guitar/vox-based tracks, and, strange as some of them might be, they resemble the older Bends/OK Computer Radiohead moreso than the Kid A tracks. You keep bringing up Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, but that's kind of a bad example, I think. Listen to Knives Out, or I Might Be Wrong. Those are definite single-worthy tracks. The only thing on Kid A even close to single-worthy is Optimistic, really. Not that a CD has to have a bunch of radio-friendly tracks to be good or anything, though - I still love Kid A, it just takes a bit longer to get used to than Amnesiac.

The funny thing about this is that all the songs for both Amnesiac and Kid A were recorded at the same time.</div>
 #45122  by S.Cody2
 Sat Jun 16, 2001 2:20 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "Copperplate Gothic"; text-align: left; '>I keep mentoning Pulk/Pull because it seems out of time on the CD. An eerie base loop played in reverse with intermittent jingles and Thom Yorke casually mentioning types of doors in a very stifled, not quite human-as-we-know-it whisper? I listened to it more closely, it's fulfillingly haunting. Still doesn't beat Treefingers, though. :)

Amnesiac is without a doubt more similar to OK Computer (I won't say The Bends though, the entire tone of The Bends was cheery in comparison) than Kid A. Will most fans be able to accept their favorite band's progressive (Prog what is still unknown) determination?

<i>trap doors
that you can't come back from</i><hr></div>
 #45142  by Gentz
 Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:28 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I think that if you can't accept their musical progression then you can't really call yourself a true Radiohead fan. Progression is pretty much what defines their band. I'll admit that Kid A took a lot of getting used to though.

Btw, I don't really like Pulk either, but I don't think it detracts anything significant from the CD. It does amuse me a bit though - it sounds like Sesame Street on acid : )

<i>BigBird: Today we're going to talk about doors - like, the doors of your MIND, man!</I></div>