The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Ok, saw the rest of Tomb Raider

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #45168  by Gentz
 Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:41 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I still don't think it was a terrible movie for what it was trying to do (I don't think it was that bad at all, actually), but I think I can see now how people may have hated it.

Cons:
1.) Pointless psychic ghost-children that seem to be put into the movie simply to make people go "what the <i>fuck</i> was that all about?"
2.) That stupid scene that came out of left-field where Lara becomes a Buddhist monk for absolutely no discernable reason.
3.) Why would the Illuminati, the world's most secretive organization, let that butler and Brice just come along for the ride to find the triangle?
3.) Not enough really good action scenes
4.) Was Lara firing screwdrivers out of a pneumatic bolt gun? (more of a question than a con, actually)
5.) Shamelessly tacked-on romance
6.) Shamelessly tacked-on shower scene (Peter's)
6.) Don't ever play around with time in a movie. It just doesn't work. At least in this movie they decided that to avoid time-paradoxes they just made the whole time travel thing not make sense at all.

Pros:
1.) I don't know how many of the British accents were faked, but they were halfway-decent at least.
2.) When Lara smacked that guy in the face with the back wheel of the motorcycle.
3.) When the butler busted out that shotgun and started blasting people.
4.) Powell's flying elbow to Lara's face.
5.) Shamelessly tacked-on shower scene (Lara's) : )

On a scale of 1-10 I give this movie a 6.5. It would have been a 5, but pro's #3 and #4 gave it an extra one and a half points : )</div>
 #45169  by Gentz
 Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:46 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>If you can't figure out why Lara didn't destroy the half of the triangle like many idiots to whom I have already spoken, then you are not deserving of my time.</div>
 #45174  by Chockboard
 Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:48 pm
<div style='font: 10pt arial; text-align: left; '>The other thing that saves this movie is the inherent ridiculousness of the material. You get a "why the hell not" attitude towards everything and manages to explain away a lot of what's thrown at you, like walking stone idols and magic triangles.

The stuff you mentioned though is mostly poor writing, which ridiculousness can't cover. Also, why the hell was the second half in the middle of the fucking doomsday device? I thought they were supposed to be hidden on opposite ends of the earth. Stupid ancient civilization.</div>

#45176  by ManaMan
 Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:37 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>I seriously don't think Angelina's tits are that big as they are in that movie.</div>
 #45178  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:36 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>...I mean, watch Pushing-Tin for christ-sake.</div>

#45204  by Gentz
 Wed Jun 20, 2001 1:33 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Well, one was in Alaska and one was in Cambodia...sounds alright to me</div>