The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Finally saw Pearl Harbor.  Not as bad as I thought it'd be...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #45252  by Ishamael
 Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:48 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Basically this movie would have been twice as enjoyable if they completely cut out the first 30 mins in which we get to yawn through the development of Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale's love. Most of the rest of the movie is pretty watchable though.

Some people said they thought the movie shouldn't have included Doolittle's bombing of Tokyo and his subsequent crash landing in China. I thought that part was pretty cool, myself.</div>
 #45254  by Blotus
 Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:00 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>Granted, the Japanese WERE pretty evil (capturing and holding in bondage much of China and surrounding islands), but you see specific differences in how each operation is pulled off. In Pearl Harbour, we see the Japanese gunning down civilians in the street, while in Tokyo I don't think we see anybody die... just a bunch of buildings getting hit.

Funny to be in Canada and hear people clap when Tokyo's bombed. =)
Don't think anybody'd be clapping if the movie had shown Hiroshima as America's redemption, though.</div>

#45256  by Lox
 Sun Jun 24, 2001 4:54 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I thought it was good. I didn't mind the beginning so much though. I think they could have chopped off the end though and it would still have been fine.</div>
 #45259  by Tessian
 Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:17 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Of course it's biased, shouldn't be surprised about that. I don't think they made Japan look evil, but rather US better.
Like when the Japanese generals were deciding to attack the US.. they said about how they thought they had no choice because the US stopped importing oil and raw materials and they only had so much reserve oil.</div>

#45263  by Blotus
 Sun Jun 24, 2001 8:18 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>Did I say I was surprised?</div>

#45270  by Kupek
 Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:51 am
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>The funny thing is that that retaliation bombing run was extremely overblown. In reality, it didn't do squat.</div>

#45274  by Torgo
 Mon Jun 25, 2001 2:10 am
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Evil? I don't think the Japanese were onscreen long enough to establish any personalities. They only had slightly more screen time than Dan Aykroyd.</div>

#45279  by Eric
 Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:08 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Surprisingly, the Japanese actually liked the movie alot.</div>

#45281  by S.Cody2
 Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:33 am
<div style='font: 14pt Plakatbau; text-align: left; '>That's because the WWII is slowly being buried over time. It's not even tought in history.</div>

#45282  by Eric
 Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:53 am
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>You mean their history classes, or ours? Because I'm pretty sure it's still taught in ours.</div>

#45283  by Ishamael
 Mon Jun 25, 2001 11:58 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>You'd be suprised what we'd clap to.... ;) But I agree with Torgo, they really weren't on-screen long enough for any personality, IMO.</div>

#45289  by Chockboard
 Mon Jun 25, 2001 4:40 pm
<div style='font: 10pt arial; text-align: left; '>The whole thing was sanitized and sent through the political correctness machine, and it still came out racist.</div>
 #45311  by Blotus
 Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:51 am
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>I know I studied WW2 a lot in Canadian History in High School... but I could understand why they wouldn't in Japan. I'm thinking most countries like to focus on wars they won.</div>

#45312  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:48 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>I'm sure they cheered when the US got bombed.</div>

#45313  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:49 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>If history isn't taught, history will repeat itself.</div>

#45356  by Zeus
 Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:28 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Arial bold"; text-align: left; '>I really wanted to see a great WW2 movie about the bombing of Pearl Harbor.....so I bought the Tora, Tora, Tora! Special Edition DVD</div>