The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• For the first time in history, a movie made me cry..

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #45422  by Tessian
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:05 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I'm going to start this right off by saying if ANY of you make fun of my open-ness right now.. I don't know what I'll do,, just don't fuck with this, alright? Take it for what I make it, agree or disagree, but do NOT poke fun. With that being said now:

NEVER before has a movie ever come CLOSE to making me emotional. Not Bambi, not Blow (that ending was sad though), not Pearl Harbor.. nothing. The last movie I can think of that ever really Affected me would be Arlington Road; that one made me think. But that is not what I am talking about... the movie I am talking about I just saw at midnight. This movie affected me in some way I can't specifically figure. Within the first 20 minutes of the movie I was misty. There were numerous other parts that really hit me emotionally. Maybe it the music and the plot or the story.. maybe the fact that I was sitting in a dark room with headphones on watching an emotionally powerful movie at 1am.. maybe I felt empathy for the characters.. all I really know is: during the credits I.... cried. I just cried. For the first time in history, a movie had made me cry.

That movie, was Unbreakable

Say what you will, I don't care if you thought the movie sucked ass.. I believe that would just convey your own shallowness. This movie somehow found a way to affect me unlike Any other movie I had ever seen. I can't exactly explain it... all I can do is tip my hat.</div>
 #45424  by S.Cody2
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 10:29 am
<div style='font: 14pt Plakatbau; text-align: left; '>Oh, and by the way, telling people not to make fun of you for saying somthing is often the best ticket for getting people to make fun of you for saying something. Not as often here, though.</div>

#45427  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 11:34 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>I thought Unbreakable was really good, but only movies like American Beauty or Flying Tiger, Flying Dragon brought a tear to my eye.</div>

#45429  by Blotus
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:31 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>Haven't seen it yet. If I do and end up thinking it DOES suck ass, I don't think that would make me shallow.</div>
 #45431  by Gentz
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:47 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Unbreakable was a good movie, I'll agree, and it was pretty emotional at some points. I really can't understand why it would evoke the feeling that it did in you, but hey, who am I to judge?</div>
 #45434  by Tessian
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:12 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Alone in a dark room with headphones on at midnight. I let myself be taken in and affected by the movie.. and I do believe the music helped a lot (with also being in my ears instead of across the room).

Scenes during the movie nearly made me cry right then (his birth, the fight, etc), but I stopped myself. Held it in till the end though.. wish I knew exactly what got over me</div>

#45436  by Lee S.
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:57 pm
<div style='font: 9pt arial; text-align: justify; '>I'm shallow just as a general rule, anyway.</div>

#45440  by Stephen S.
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 5:03 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>You obviously haven't seen very many movies if "Arlington Road" and "Unbreakable" are your biggest tearjerkers. I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but you'd probably suffer emotional trauma if you watched something like "A Simple Plan" or "Schindler's List."</div>

#45442  by AnarkyThePunk
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 6:02 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>It made me cry too, because it was so shitty and long and yet so pointless</div>

#45446  by Crono
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 7:48 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Well, calling those who disliked the movie "shallow people" is just as elitist as THEM saying it sucked in the first place. But anyhoo, I've not seen the movie yet myself (but wanna).</div>

#45449  by Blotus
 Tue Jul 03, 2001 10:41 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>It's not elitist to say a movie sucks. Tomb Raider sucks. That's not me being elitist, that's a fact (and I'm sick of hearing the word 'elitist' everywhere!).</div>
 #45454  by Tessian
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:40 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Of course, I was a good few years younger when I saw it. And I didn't say Arlington Road made me cry; it made me think.

Unbreakable just hit me from a weird, unprotected angle</div>
 #45455  by Tessian
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:43 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>If you simply did not like it because it's not your kind of movie,, fine. But if you say it totally sucked and was a horrible film.. then you're shallow</div>

#45457  by Ganath
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:52 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>No... I think what was said still applies. Even if they think it totally sucked.</div>

#45463  by Kupek
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:46 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>A Simple Plan was REALLY twisted. My god was Billy Bob Thorton good in it. That monolouge he had about never having a real girlfriend, and that girl who went out with him on a bet, made me want to jump out a window.</div>

#45464  by Kupek
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:47 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>If I'm in the right mood, Braveheart can come close.</div>

#45468  by Gentz
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 4:42 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Heh. That'll definitely do it</div>

#45469  by Ishamael
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 4:46 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Nah, what makes you shallow is me saying you are.</div>
 #45472  by Gentz
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 4:55 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>My problem is when people say that a movie sucked because they didn't understand it. That's when you're shallow. When you dislike a movie because its point doesn't come out and slap you in the face. When you think a movie is crappy because it tries to make you think about the story and characters. Those are the people that bug me. Here's a good test that I've devised to tell who fits into this category: Ask them what they think of the movie Contact, and if they mention anything about <font color=black>wanting to see some aliens instead of Jodie Foster's damn dad</font> then they are probably pretty shallow - artistically speaking, at least : )</div>

#45473  by Ishamael
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 4:58 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>You sure you just didn't have a nervous breakdown? ;) Anyway, don't get on your knees and beg people to not poke fun at you. Evil people like me feed off of that...</div>

#45474  by Ishamael
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 5:00 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>I don't care for your elitist criteria for how us elite should use the word elitist...</div>

#45480  by Blotus
 Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:56 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>I'll moida ya.</div>

#45491  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jul 05, 2001 12:17 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>No, I mean "Flying Tiger, Flying Dragon". Haven't you seen the movie?</div>
 #45493  by Ganath
 Thu Jul 05, 2001 1:26 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>It's that one movie, that takes place in that one town... with the guys after that thing and some chick with the mask. It's also got a flying tiger and a flying dragon. Right?</div>

#45497  by Tessian
 Thu Jul 05, 2001 5:22 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Nope,, never even Heard of it. Sounds like a huge CTHD knockoff,, unless it preceded it</div>

#45503  by Crono
 Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:12 am
<div style='font: 12pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Heh, yah that is a much better definition of shallow, actually.</div>

#45510  by Kupek
 Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:06 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I loved Contact. I read the book before seeing the movie, and I actually liked the movie better. The book had much greater emotional impact on me. It gave me a sense of the universe.</div>

#45511  by Kupek
 Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:08 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Verdana, Tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Grrrr. The MOVIE had much greater emotional impact on me.</div>

#45528  by Gentz
 Sat Jul 07, 2001 2:59 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Yeah, Contact is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. Never did read the book though (and will probably never get around to it, unfortunately)</div>

#45529  by Gentz
 Sat Jul 07, 2001 3:00 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>The test has yet to fail me!</div>