The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Fellowship of the Ring. Anyone else think the general public may feel....disappointed?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #46469  by G-man Joe
 Thu Aug 16, 2001 9:13 am
<div style='font: 11pt "comic sans MS"; text-align: left; '>I read the book many years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It didn't have quite the ending I expected, of course. It is Part I, after all. So there was really no ending. It made me want to read the next book!

I wonder what the movie goers will feel with an open ended movie.

Last night, I rented the animated version of Fellowship of the Ring, which was renamed Lord of the Rings(not the same producers who created the made for TV "The Hobbit"). It wasn't quite animated, they merely took live action actors and "animated" the film, if you know what I mean. It was well done and didn't omit details as much as "The Hobbit" did(they left out Bjorn). Not a lot of singing as The Hobbit.

There's one scene in the animation which was done also in the live action trailer I saw for Fellowship(due out this December). The one where the Ring Wraith was searching for the hobbits who were hiding under the tree root. Same camera angle!</div>
 #46474  by Gone to Shakers
 Thu Aug 16, 2001 10:59 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Personally, I think they should have split it into 6 parts

SPOILERS IN THE SPOILER BOX

<b>Spoiler Message:<b>
<span style="background: black; color: black;">Part I, they defeat the Wraiths and make it to Rivendell.
Part II, they defeat the Balrog sometime, and then that battle at the end with the two Orc Clans (forget what the two Orc Chiefs names were)
Part III, they win that Cavalry battle against Sarumans Orcs in Rohan
part IV, defeat Saruman at the end
Part V, defeat the Witch King of Minas Morgul
Part VI, defeat Sauron and Saruman</span></div>

#46477  by ManaMan
 Thu Aug 16, 2001 2:27 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>I don't know... people are stupid. As long as the beef up all the fighting and explosions people will like it.</div>
 #46478  by Tessian
 Thu Aug 16, 2001 2:31 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Read the Hobbit before that, in June. I was thinking that after I finished.. there's no ending. Granted, it's the end of the first volume (NOT a trilogy.. Tolkien must be rolling in his grave).. and I haven't read the Two Towers yet (gotta finish East of Eden for school first).

I think those who haven't read the book will be kinda confused.. those who have will critique the movie and, of course, say it's not as good as the book.

Actually.. LotR was a book very much about religion (read this in an article a few weeks ago), but Tolkien did it so subtlely that most of the readers don't realize it (I didn't). They say that the movies will have no hint of Tolkien's hidden meaning.</div>

#46479  by Gone to Shakers
 Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:23 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Actually, everything you read is part of the story and the atmospherical setting of the book, Tolkien highly critisized Authors who had hidden meanings in their work, ever read his opinions on Shakespear? =)</div>

#46480  by Gone to Shakers
 Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:24 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Who knows, maybe Tolkien is a hypocrite =)</div>
 #46513  by Kupek
 Sat Aug 18, 2001 2:21 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana, tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>If it dissapoints, I'm going to cry.</div>

#46518  by Eric
 Sat Aug 18, 2001 6:35 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Heh, I remember when I was a little kid and somebody said that and I tried to pry their hands off their ears to make them listen. :P</div>