The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Got the X-Men DVD. In the beginning, did anyone else...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #46515  by Kupek
 Sat Aug 18, 2001 2:26 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana, tahoma; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>...catch the part where Senator Kelly is addressing the Senate, and says "I have a list of names..." and holds up some pieces of paper? Normally, I wouldn't give a summer blockbuster that much credit, but considering the gravity that was given to the opening in Poland, I think that was a reference to Senator McCarthy, who did the exact same thing (can't remember if he was on the Senate floor, or if he was at a press conference), except he claimed it was a list of Communists.</div>

#46521  by Crono
 Sat Aug 18, 2001 9:20 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Yah, definitely a reference to McCarthy... I'd say. One of the ways to relate it to other forms of ridiculous discrimination and witch-hunts.</div>

#46524  by Torgo
 Sat Aug 18, 2001 10:01 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>That occured to me as well.</div>

#46527  by Tessian
 Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:54 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Yup.. I think they did mean to make things sound like Neo-McCarthyism</div>