The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• For anybody interested in the Tranceport series, Tranceport 4 (Max Graham) is awesome!  Excellent trance on a 2 CD set.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #47390  by SineSwiper
 Fri Oct 12, 2001 7:42 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>For anybody interested in the Tranceport series, Tranceport 4 (Max Graham) is awesome! Excellent trance on a 2 CD set.</div>

#47392  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:34 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Maybe that's why your ear is swelling.</div>

#47397  by SineSwiper
 Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:54 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Hey now!</div>

#47401  by Imakeholesinu
 Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:02 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Is it worth it?</div>

#47404  by ManaMan
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 11:13 am
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>I had the first one... but it got old after a while... as do all trance cds.</div>
 #47406  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:15 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>First, you have to get past the four-on-the-floor beat. People ask "what the hell's up with that boring ass beat?" Well, that's just the bassline. There's other percussion and complexities going on in there, too. You have to have a beat that's predictable and simple to retain that lasting sound. It's like a kettle drum that gets pounded every four seconds. It rings in your ear until the next beat hits. (Off the top of my head, the bell in <u>For Whom the Bell Tolls</u> is a good non-electronica example.)

Second, yeah, trance is pretty easy to make, but so is every punk song, or every college rock song, or every pop metal song, or any song that doesn't call itself "progressive". Most rock-based songs have its [short riff, chorus, riff, chorus, riff, chorus, fading riff] or something similar, while trance songs have its [starter beat, buildup, buildup, (before the crowd gets bored) drop off, short buildup (where everybody cheers because they know what's coming up), powerhit, buildup (or cross-fade to next song)] pattern.</div>

#47407  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:04 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>It has nothing to with music. I have fluid backed up behind my (now both) eardrums.</div>

#47411  by Gone to Shakers
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:24 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>It's like the type of music people put on when most of the people have already left the party, and those who are still there are too drunk or lazy to move</div>

#47412  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 5:10 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Seeker, you're a fucking idiot. For one, you said the D word. And two, you listen to shitty punk music and pop metal bullshit.</div>

#47416  by Eric
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 10:50 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>I think Derithan and Anarky are into the Punk in Metal music Siney. Seeker is always asking me for rap music. :P</div>

#47417  by Ganath
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 11:03 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>For one, what the fuck is the "D" word? And two, is there such a thing as "pop metal"? Aren't those terms contradictive?</div>

#47418  by Gone to Shakers
 Sun Oct 14, 2001 11:06 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I made an accurate observation. By the way, I'm the guy that doesn't like Metal or Punk. 85% of what I listen to is Rap</div>

#47424  by G-man Joe
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:08 am
<div style='font: 11pt "comic sans MS"; text-align: left; '>Bon Jovi. When someone told me that was metal, I about laffed. So....pop metal exists. Though not popularly practiced.</div>

#47427  by Chockboard
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 11:39 am
<div style='font: 10pt arial; text-align: left; '>85 degrees in Pennsylvania nothing, Bon Jovi being described as metal is the REAL sign of the impending apocalypse.</div>

#47431  by Slappy White
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 2:17 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, you should both shut the hell up.</div>

#47434  by Blotus
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 3:32 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>You'd best not be raggin' on one of the best rock bands of all time (Bon Jovi).</div>

#47436  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:06 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>No, you didn't. Most people listening to trance don't get fucking drunk. Judging from what you talk about over here, I've never heard you talk about rap.</div>

#47437  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:08 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>D word = drunk. And I use the term pop metal because it seems like everybody and his brother got some shitty "metal" band going on, with the same gimmicks and long goatees.</div>

#47438  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:10 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Bon Jovi can suck my cock. ...Oh wait, he's gay. In that case, he can stay the hell away from my cock.</div>

#47439  by Blotus
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:55 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>Bad taste, thy name is Sine.</div>

#47440  by ManaMan
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:58 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>Don't forget the dreadlocks and tattoos on the arms.</div>
 #47442  by Ganath
 Mon Oct 15, 2001 11:42 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I think you used the wrong term... because "pop metal" does NOT invoke images of lame indie metal bands.

Rather, it brings up images of Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys whipping out electric guitars and black leather jackets while playing a hip-hop version of "Cowboys from Hell" from Pantera.

I'm not sure if that quite describes the horrible images dancing through my head... but it gives you the idea.

To be honest, you just might have traumatized me Sine. :)</div>

#47445  by Gentz
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:00 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>80's rock bands are too cheesy and take themselves too seriously to be considered anything but stupid</div>

#47446  by Gone to Shakers
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:17 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Nah, I don't know anyone who gets drunk to listen to trance music either, it's just what it says above, nothing more. I don't talk about rap on this board because there's like 3 people here who listen to it at all.</div>
 #47447  by SineSwiper
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:21 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Though, I'm not trying to confuse it with the evolution of metal. Everything evolves or dies, including the elements of music. The hip-hop elements are slowly splitting off sub-categories of metal, which means it stays alive. Sure, some of the other "hardcore" fans may listen to the old shit, and condemn anything else, but the "fresher" crowd (or the more hardcore guys who have listened to it so much that they need something new) pay attention to new elements in music, and it gets popular. And there's plenty of crap to sift through, but I think no genre should be completely excluded from observation. (Even country could be make to sound good, if it's combined with something unusual and something you really like.)

In any case, before I get into a big long rant on musical evolution, I was talking more about the crap like this one band that's playing on my fucking TV now: some fucking stupid college "rock" band, that talks like this "My Name......Is Billy.....This Song......Really Sucks!" Only with the metal bands (of course). The same old boring ones, that don't bring any new elements to the scene, besides their physical appearance. (After all, this is the evolution of music, not fashion.)

Hence "pop metal" because it's the same ol' formula that the corporate moneybags used the last time. It's easier to milk a cash cow until it's dried up and died, instead of thinking of new ideas all the time. These other "idea thinking" groups are "progressive" bands. Too bad there aren't enough of them, but then they wouldn't be progressive.</div>

#47448  by SineSwiper
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:23 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>You're the guy who likes Bon Jovi. "Hey, everybody laugh at the Bon Jovi fan!"</div>

#47449  by SineSwiper
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:24 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>s/rock//</div>

#47450  by SineSwiper
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:25 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>I think you're drunk now :)</div>

#47453  by Blotus
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:57 am
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>Bah, I've made it a point not to start arguements with people who enjoy 'trance' and well... anything played at raves. I just don't understand y'all =)</div>

#47456  by SineSwiper
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:45 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>I really don't understand what is "good" about Bon Jovi or any of the other hair bands of the 80's. (In fact, the entire decade of 80's music.)</div>

#47457  by Blotus
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:56 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>His best stuff was written in the 90's. I think too many people just see the image of 80's rock and immediately think "yuk". There's a big difference between Bon Jovi and say Poison, Whitesnake, or Twisted Sister (the latter three being 'hair bands').</div>

#47458  by Gentz
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:15 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I prefer "popcore" : )</div>

#47459  by SineSwiper
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:23 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>He still whines like a little bitch.</div>

#47461  by Blotus
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:46 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>*Shakes head*</div>

#47467  by ManaMan
 Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:01 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>I prefer popcorn.</div>