The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Heh, I was never a really big Starwars fan, but I'm going to have to admit, this one was great!

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #49424  by Gone to Shakers
 Thu May 23, 2002 10:16 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>The whole movie was good, I didn't find any of it to be boring, in the last movie, there were a lot of boring scenes. The only thing it lacked though was a good climactic Jedi battle like in the first movie.

We know what's going to happen in the next one already though. All the Jedi except Yoda and Obi Wan are killed, Amidala is killed which will bring Anaken over to the Darkside (more than likely), Luke and Leia will be infants and they'll somehow get split up. I guess the Storm Troopers somehow become evil as well.</div>
 #49433  by Tessian
 Fri May 24, 2002 2:49 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Luke & Leia will be split up before Amidala dies... Vader doesn't find out about Leia till the end of VI. As for the stormtroopers... I want to see how they switch from clones to actual draftees. Stormtroopers are NOT clones and something has to happen that wipes all the clones and the planet they're created on (except, of course, for a bunch of vats and material the Emperor stores away for later things like his own clone and an army with which Thrawn uses to almost bring the Empire back to power). I hope they have more about The Emperor's fetish for super weapons and secret bases / storehouses... there never was Just the Death Star. There's also the Sun Crusher, the Emperor's Hand (that was Mara Jade actually, but I hope she's in this too seeing as how she's his apprentice at one point. Palpatine didn't keep to the 2 sith rule), and Centerpoint Station... wait, Centerpoint was actually built long before Palpatine and no one can use it accurately.</div>
 #49436  by Gone to Shakers
 Fri May 24, 2002 10:05 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Anyways, from what I understand, the Storm Troopers are the Clone Army, that is why in the 1977 Starwars film, Leia mentioned something about Luke not being the right height to be a Storm Trooper, they are all the same height.</div>

#49443  by Chockboard
 Fri May 24, 2002 3:40 pm
<div style='font: ; text-align: left; '>They're all either from later novel or comic series. Also going by the novels and the comic series, the Storm Troopers aren't clones.</div>

#49445  by Tessian
 Fri May 24, 2002 9:45 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>they're definitely Not clones. Listen to Stormtroopers in the other movies; different voices when they talk, for one thing</div>
 #49446  by Tessian
 Fri May 24, 2002 9:52 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Lucas CAN'T forsake all the later literature. Clones haven't been used since the Clone Wars; all soldiers and pilots of the Imperial military are humans (Empire didn't like non-humans... dunno why). After Endor, many pilots and officers defected to the Rebellion. In all stories after Endor, clones are looked upon with scorn and distaste; whatever happens in the Clone Wars made it so that no one likes to even mention them.</div>
 #49447  by Tessian
 Fri May 24, 2002 9:56 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Lucas CAN'T forsake all the later literature. Clones haven't been used since the Clone Wars; all soldiers and pilots of the Imperial military are humans (Empire didn't like non-humans... dunno why). After Endor, many pilots and officers defected to the Rebellion. In all stories after Endor, clones are looked upon with scorn and distaste; whatever happens in the Clone Wars made it so that no one likes to even mention them. Something had to have happened during the Clone Wars that not only destroyed the planet their were created on, but the entire army as well. Actually... I may be wrong, but I think Clones have a shortened life span. Makes sense, actually, they are grown at 2x the speed and I don't see how that'd be something you could just turn off.</div>

#49448  by Zeus
 Sat May 25, 2002 12:13 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Which might explain why in Ep. 2 they're referred to as CLONE TROOPERS. Lucas is spelling it out for everyone and people are still thinking they're one in the same</div>

#49451  by Lox
 Sat May 25, 2002 2:17 am
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Exactly what I thought. Once the Emperor is in control he probably just drafts them and stuff.</div>

#49452  by Gone to Shakers
 Sat May 25, 2002 2:27 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I don't think George Lucas is planning to have his movies based off of the books written by other people.</div>

#49454  by Tessian
 Sat May 25, 2002 1:49 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I wouldn't call it that; more that he Already has his movies planned out and tells the authors what they can and can't say in their books so it doesn't contradict</div>
 #49455  by Tessian
 Sat May 25, 2002 1:59 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>kind of a battle meld; so they'd allwork better and more coordinated together. a Jedi Clone Thrawn found guarding Mount Tariss did the same thing for Thrawn's clones (wasn't easy) which is what allowed him to make use of the Emperor's cloaking technology (actually Very realistic.. while it bent light around the ship, no light was able to see out FROM the ship; so they were blind except for scouts that would leave the barrier. Truely genius how he made use of the cloaking (and no, it wasn't to battle seeing as how all you'd have to do is trace where the fiewpoer was coming from... something much more genius).

Anyway... it's fabled that that's why the Battle of Endor fell apart so horribly after the Emperor was killed. The remaining Imperial fleet fell into disarray and many ships simply fled.</div>

#49467  by Gone to Shakers
 Mon May 27, 2002 9:07 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>Are the movies and the books based on exactly the same universe? Normally that's fairly rare, look at Japanese Anime for example.</div>

#49480  by Tessian
 Mon May 27, 2002 8:11 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>yes they are, actually. Star Wars is a specific universe; it's not its own genre</div>

#49485  by Ishamael
 Tue May 28, 2002 1:27 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?i ... d=12360</a>

Eh, does Lucas really know? If something doesn't fit, he'll just go back into the original trilogy and change things around to make it fit (again)....</div>

#49490  by Zeus
 Tue May 28, 2002 12:40 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Old news. It was reported a while ago that he has shot some more scenes with the newer characters to be inserted into the original trilogy for more continuity. Unless he does major plot changes, I don't see what the problem is</div>

#49494  by Ishamael
 Tue May 28, 2002 4:50 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Actually these changes are different from the other changes he's made (like the insertion of Bail Organa). I don't have a problem with changes either since the original will still kick ass. But some people are sticklers for keeping "what's already perfect" and all that...</div>

#49556  by Zeus
 Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:30 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>That's the problem with Star Wars fans on a whole. So many people have grown up with the movies, watched them for MANY years over and over that they deem them as perfect and nothing will come close. Lucas can't win unless he rehashes the stories, keeping everything the same. Thank God he didn't</div>

#49557  by Kupek
 Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:35 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>George Lucas is not a good writer. George Lucas is not a good director. George Lucas did not direct Empire or Jedi; George Lucas did not write Empire and co-wrote Jedi. George Lucas wrote and directed both Episode I and II. You do the math.</div>
 #49566  by Zeus
 Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:01 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>From what you've said, I'll have to assume you hated A New Hope as much as either Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, 'cause Lucas was just as directly involved in that as he was in the new ones. That'll take care of both the director and writer complaints....for now

Now, let's just take a look at how directly involved Lucas really was. I don't think I have to prove to you that Lucas is a control freak (we can thank the Star Wars Holiday Special for that). So, even if he does have a new writer or director, how much freedom do you think that person will have? Either would essentially be George's lackey, since he would be scrutinizing every freakin' little detail in the script or on the set. EVERYTHING goes through him when it comes to the movies, so much more so than the related stuff. So, yes, he did not DIRECTLY write or direct Empire or Jedi, but he controlled every tiny little aspect of it. As a producer, he basically controls it all.

BTW, thanks for proving my point</div>
 #49568  by Kupek
 Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:04 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Don't give me "that proves my point shit." Empire is generally considered the best of the trilogy, and I'm starting to agree. It's the best written and directed - far better than A New Hope. And even the direction in Return of the Jedi is far better than A New Hope. The scenes are much more dramatic.

Yeah, Luca is a control freak and I'd feel sorry for the poor shmuck who'd have to answer to him. But it seemed to work out fine in The Empire Strikes Back.

He has fantastic ideas. He just isn't good at implementing them himself. Which is why I'd want him to be the producer, and not the writer or director. Yeah, everything would go through him, but the people who did it would be better than him.</div>