The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Minority Report...really, really good movie...best of the Summer so far...[no spoilers]...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #49809  by Ishamael
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:14 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Tom Cruise does a very good job in his role as the head of Pre-Crime (will probably get an Oscar nomination), but what really sets the movie apart are the setting and the script. The movie is set in the kinda-distant about 50 years from now and life is pretty similiar to how it is now. Personalized advertising and identification have been taken to a whole knew level that's just kind of freaky, while not being far fartched at all. I can easily imagine something like this future (minus the crime prediciton part) being the norm in 50 years. Also, the technology is very cool...

The script is great. Lots of interesting characters (my favorite cameo is the old research scientist lady...you just have to see her to understand what I'm talking about). The storyline is basically a detective mystery with some sci-fi and a tiny bit of mysticism. I like the way it leaves you wondering about the motivations of some of the characters as well as wondering about how humanity has changed in the future.

Anyway, enough rambling. Go see it.</div>

#49811  by Kupek
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:00 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Oscar nomination? I think Tom Cruise is a very good actor, and I think he did a very good job in this movie, but I don't think he did Oscar-good. (Then again, I thought the same thing about Denzel Washington in Training Day.)</div>

#49812  by Manshoon
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:01 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Times New Roman"; text-align: left; '>I've been trying to get that off Kazaa, but all the results have been for Collateral Damage instead.</div>
 #49813  by Kupek
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:08 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>The ending was wrapped up too nicely. When they were putting Anderton away in the prison after being haloed, I thought "Wow, a Hollywood blockbuster with a bad ending - cool." It would have been a really haunting ending: bad guy gets away with it and the creepy Orwellian system stays in place.

Instead, it was the typical good-guy-wins ending. I liked the movie, but the ending was underwhelming.</div>

#49816  by Eric
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:37 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>Give it a week.</div>
 #49817  by Ishamael
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:25 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>The worst possible ending would have been for Anderton to find his smiling healthy son after all these years. For a while, that's exactly what I thought was gonna happen. Instead, they decided to cop out in a less offensive way. ;) I didn't mind the ending too much myself. Sure they wrapped everything up in a somewhat clean way (other than the good cop getting killed), but it all made sense. After all, Anderton's boss was not an evil person (in fact, there was not really a battle of good vs evil in the movie). He did what he thought was best for society, even though he knew he was committing a(in his mind justifiable) sin doing it. He somewhat vindicated himself in the end.</div>

#49818  by Ishamael
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:27 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Only other major movie with a leading actor who could possibly compete in my mind is Billy Bob Thorton in Frailty (and that might not get nominated due to lack of hype and release). So that makes at most, 2 out of 4 and the year is half over.</div>
 #49819  by Kupek
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:05 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Definitely, the son still being alive would have been much worse.

Briefly, I also thought it might end abruptly, never telling us what choice Anderton's boss made.

I do think, however, that they still could have done the ending in a more clever, maybe even haunting, way. You can have the same events happen, just present it differently. There was so much potential, and it was just wrapped up too nicely.</div>

#49820  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:38 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I give it a resounding "OK"</div>

#49821  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:39 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, that was one of the big disappoinments for me to</div>

#49822  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:39 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>That would have been super sappy, I agree</div>

#49823  by Zeus
 Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:41 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Denzel is a far better actor than Cruise IMO, but I agree that he getting the Oscar for Training Day wasn't exactly a good thing....but it was better than Crowe (who might have deserved it more from Beautiful Mind than Gladiator)</div>

#49828  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:21 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Billy Bob Thorton? HA!</div>
 #49830  by Kupek
 Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:46 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>My god, his monologe in A Simple Plan about how lonely he is is one of the most depressing scenes I have seen from any movie. It only worked because Thorton was able to pull it off. That man is talented.</div>

#49832  by Stephen
 Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:16 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I think that's Bill Paxton.</div>

#49833  by Gentz
 Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:06 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>That's Spielberg for you</div>

#49834  by Gentz
 Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:08 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I just went to see it for the neato special effects, but it turned out to be an awesome movie. I was pleasantly surprised</div>

#49835  by Derithian
 Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:25 pm
<div style='font: italic bold 14pt ; text-align: center; '>hmmmmm I hadda wackim with mu sling blade hhmmmmmm</div>

#49836  by Ishamael
 Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:58 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Woops, you're right. Doh!</div>

#49848  by Gone to Shakers
 Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:22 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>The Sum of All Fears is the best movie so far this Summer =)</div>

#49850  by Ishamael
 Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:03 pm
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Second best, but not second by a huge amount.</div>

#49855  by Gone to Shakers
 Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:57 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I enjoyed Minority Report, but I wouldn't watch it more than twice, I've seen Sum of All Fears twice now and I wouldn't mind seeing it a third time, and I'll likely get it on DVD</div>

#49858  by Derithian
 Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:31 pm
<div style='font: italic bold 14pt ; text-align: center; '>I'm starting to agree with the others about your movie taste. I mean hell even I thought the movie was cool and I'm the guy that thinks just about every movie sucks</div>

#49872  by Zeus
 Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:33 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I thought it was OK yet I'm a huge Speilberg fan and am one of the only guys who doesn't despise Cruise in a role like that.</div>

#49919  by Zeus
 Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:34 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I saw Beautiful Mind....Crowe definetely deserved the Oscar for that one and not Gladiator</div>