The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Well, since I have some free time off before the Semester begins, I took a bit of the morning and read the first two and a half chapters of lord of the Rings, and noticed some interesting things in comparrison to the movie...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #50623  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:19 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>First of all, people go on a lot about how accuratly Gandalf and Frodo's parts were played, but now that I have read the first bit of the book (and of course glanced over the rest of it to a certain extent), I now see that of the 9 in the Fellowship, Gandalf and Frodo were the least accurate characters.

Gimli and Legolas, I didn't really go much into their characters, but they seamed to be done fairly well, except Legolas was fairly quiet in the movie, he wouldn't shut up in the book =P

Boromir, now this character from what I've read is dead on.

Merry, he didn't get a big enough part in the movie, but from what I see his character is fairly accurate, of the four hobbits he is the one with the most common sense and smarts.

Pippin, also fairly accurate, in the book his character is lazy and he often complains, and he is fairly absent minded at times and doesn't think things through.

Sam, fairly accurate, except for one thing, in the book, I pictured him as being much more of an outdoors person, and more athletic.

Saruman, I can't really say anything against the movie character, granted in the movie he does actually play a much larger role (at least at first, in the book he plays a fairly large role later on). Anyways, the movie character seams to be dead on.

Gandalf, now I hate to say it, but the character in the movie is not very accurate beyond looks. His character in the book was not as easy going, he seamed a much more dominant fgure in the book than he did in the movie. Gandalf also seamed to be a lot wiser, and much more direct in conversation, he was not exactly polite or nice in the book. Funny thing I noticed too, most of Gandalfs lines in the Fellowship of the Ring throughout the movie were not from the proper scenes, rather they were mostly taken from the second chapter of the book.

Frodo, Elija Wood did a good job acting, but his representation of Frodo (I guess according to Peter Jacksons view) was not at all accurate. Frodo in the book was much more outgoing, at least in the opening chapters, he seamed much more realistic somehow, and was definetly a much more positive character in the book. Frodo seamed to like his booze, and he wasn't exactly polite, him and a few of his friends were having a little get together on his birthday, the last day before leaving Bag End (his Hobbit Hole) and he told everyone to just leave the dishes for the new owners to clean up.

I'll probably have more on this later, I'm only basing this off of the first two and a half chapters and what I've read glancing through. It's been a while since I read the Book.

Not to take anything away from the movie, it is excellent, at the very least, the best movie to hit the big screen this decade. Though it would be a very reasonable claim to state that this is the beginning to the greatest movie ever, there has been no movie in History on this scale, even the production of Titanic has fallen short (Titanic was formerly the largest scale production). Still, I grew up on the Lord of the Rings, I was never a huge fan of Fantasy, I loved the book the Hobbit as a child and was never even told about Lord of the Rings, rather I found the books digging through a box of old text books, they were a very old set, and it is a shame that they weren't in great condition as the covers were falling off and the pages were all bent from previous reading. It was the name of JRR Tolkien which drew me to them, and I think I will remember that moment clearly for the rest of my life. It took me a year to read the books, and I don't think anything I have ever read or will ever read has come close.

Sure we have Jordan, Goodkind, and Martin as contemporary authors, but their writings simply do not compare to the genius of Tolkien. Their characters in comparisson to Tolkiens all seam to have the social smarts of children, and when describing their thoughts and actions, they are not very realistic. Tolkien seamed to understand the human mind a lot more than the other three big Authors, and he was also much more creative, his world could be seen far more clearly. Tolkiens characters, you felt as if you were there with them on their adventures, a feeling that you don't get when reading any other book in the Fantasy genre.

Its almost funny to see people trying to compare Goodkind and Jordan to Tolkien (it seams that Martin's fans have not reached that foolishness). Tolkien is perhaps the greatest literary mind in the History of the Western World, Goodkind and Jordan are but children trying to mimic the master. For a comparisson, Jordan and Goodkind have built a large stone fence in the shadow of the Great Wall of China.

Now I will stop here since it appears I have rambled way off of topic =)</div>

#50624  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:30 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>...like the fact that it's basically the same movie only 1/2 hour longer.</div>

#50625  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:27 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>I can't see how this reply has anything to do with my post =P</div>