The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Didn't want this lost in Flip's thread, but I just finished watching the entire first season of Six Feet Under........(no spoilers)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #53403  by Zeus
 Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:28 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>This really is an excellent show. If you can deal with the issues Flip mentioned, it's probably the most realistic sitcom/drama I've seen. It easily has the best, most in-depth characters in any show I've ever seen, that's for sure. There's at least 8 characters in this show who have real depth, not the manufactured crap we've been fed forever on network TV. You will actually feel for the characters 'cause they're so damned real. Even if they are deal wth a bunch of shit that you would say "there's no way any one set of people could deal with that much crap". But at no point does it ever feel contrived, like the script writers are forcing the characters into these damned situations and the characters just have to deal with them (awkwardly is usually how it goes down). And the show deals with very strong, heavy situations but never feels preachy or like it's trying to make a point. It just has to be done. Basically, there's no wasted screen time, like we've all just grown to accept in network shows. Much like my other fav show (24).

As for whether or not I think it's better than 24......well, you really can't compare the two, they're completely different and both quite unique in their own rights. But there are some things that they both have in common that sets them apart from any other TV show I've seen:

1) They both have a link in an actor (Milo/Gabe :-)
2) They both do not waste much screen time at all. Every scene means something to the characters/story, which is where so much of the depth in both shows comes from, just in different ways. Six Feet Under has incredible depth in the characters, 24 in its intricate (and unmatched) storyline
3) Both shows keep you on the edge of your seat at all times you're watching them. You never know what to expect next and when that thing does happen, it's rarely what you think and something that just makes the show that much better. In Six Feet Under, you're amazed at the crap that happens to the characters and how they deal with it. In 24, you just never know what's coming next, just how the plot twists itself.

The first point was just a little bit of fun, but it's the other two points that set these shows apart from the other drudge IMO. Now I have to watch Sopranos and see if it's up to this level....</div>