The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Ohh my god...I just finished watching The Experiment and it turned out quite different than I expected.  Definitely something to watch (no spoilers)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #55698  by Tessian
 Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:20 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>For those of you who don't know this is a german movie (subtitled) based on the Zimbardo Experiments. To go further the Zimbardo Experiments were in the '70's where a college professor decided to test the affects of control when given and taken away from people. With student volunteers he set up a prison system in the basement-- students were either guards or prisoners. The things that happened after a while were just mind blowing...what happens when you give some absolute control over other people and take away the civil rights of others. Guards making prisoners do horrible things, prisoners having nervous breakdowns...they were allowed to leave at any time but no one ever did even after it went farther than it should have. Shit like this isn't allowed in the US anymore pretty much because of this and it's results are still being studied.

But on to the movie-- an experiment is taken place with the same setup except this is funded so they actually built a real prison section for it and uniforms and everything. It follows a reporter who decides to join the experiment because he thinks it'll make a good story. This movie really tries to show off the darker side of humanity and it's most primal gruesome details. Not for the squemish (and there is male / female nudity) but definitely an interesting movie. It's really interesting to see how people change and assume roles within this isolated society-- how the guards decide to keep control and how the prisoners react. All prisoners are to be referred by number. All guards are to be referred to as Mr. Prison Guard. All orders must be given out immediately. It is the guards duty to maintain peace and order. But there is to be no violence.

Forget the fact that it's subtitled-- this is definitely something to watch. I knew what it was about but I didn't know how far it went.</div>