The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• This is how big Metallica is: the highlight of Limp Bizkit's set, what got the crowd the most pumped up, was when they covered Sanitarium.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #55825  by Kupek
 Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:34 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>I've never liked Limp Bizkit, but I have to admit they put on a pretty good show. Fred Durst went walking through the stands at one point (well, pretty close to the field), that was pretty cool. But none of that can change the fact that I find his voice annoying.

I caught about a quarter to a half of Linking Park's set. That was fun. Good stuff.

But everyone was there to see Metallica. Yeah, there were quite a few people wearing Mudvane, Deftones, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit shirts, but Metallica shirts outnumbered them 30 to 1. I mean, the tickets even said "Metallica - Summer Sanitarium." There were a lot of people for Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, but for Metallica, it was packed. The entire lower level stands had people, and the field was packed. There were more people in the stadium than there probably are for Skins games. (This was at FedEx Field.) My brother and I were about 30 feet from the stage, and it was rowdy before Metallica got on. People went ape-shit wild when Metallica launched into Battery. It was amazing.

That was the first, and probably the last, time I've seen Metallica play live, and I was blown away. They played a two hour set. Two new songs and a mix of old school and newer stuff. I'm still sore. They know how to put on a good show. Lots of talking to the crowd, getting them involved. I had a great time.</div>

#55828  by Shellie
 Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:55 am
<div style='font: 10pt georgia; text-align: left; '>Me and Sine were at the Columbus, OH show Saturday ;)</div>
 #55829  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:57 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Here was how my weekend went:

<b><i>Friday:</i></b>
<b>2PM</b> - Get a call from my friend Rob, who finds out about free tickets being given away at Phoenix Hill Tavern. I was not really that interested in it, though he said that Linkin Park and Limp Bisket were going to be there, so it was a bit more appealing.
<b>5PM</b> - We get there and I sign up. They are giving out a set (2 tickets) every 15 minutes
<b>5:30PM</b> - I get mine
<b>5:45PM</b> - Rob gets his. This is also when I find out that it starts tomorrow at fucking Columbus.
<b>10PM</b> - Because we had a full group of people at his house, we decide to get drunk. We also discuss plans about how to get there. I become a little worried about getting home on time because I have to work Sunday.
<b>12AM</b> - Shellie drives my drunk ass home and we go to sleep.

<b><i>Saturday:</i></b>
<b>8:30AM</b> - Wake up, get map from MapQuest, etc.
<b>9:45AM</b> - Leave to pick up Rob and Christynn.
<b>10:30AM</b> - After getting a quick McDonalds breakfast, we leave for Columbus.
<b>2:30PM</b> - We arrive at Ohio stadium and park.
<b>2:45PM</b> - We get in, and bump into a work friend of ours who already had tickets in April and a hotel. (I chuckle internally at the $75 per ticket price tag.)
<b>3:00PM</b> - We find out our tickets are in the nose-bleed section with constant sun. Mudvanye starts playing. (They were decent, but the sound was not engineered at all.)
<b>3:15PM</b> - Forunately, Rob gets the idea to find better seats in the shady side.
<b>3:30PM</b> - We bypass low-paid ushers and get a seat in the A section and, more importantly, in the shade.
<b>4:00PM</b> - Deftones starts playing. They prove themselves to be true to their name (tone deaf), and proceed to suck their way through 30 minutes.
<b>4:30PM</b> - Deftones stops playing. The crowd rejoices.
<b>5:00PM</b> - Linkin Park starts. Their set kicked fucking ass! Great music, nice visuals, and always keeping touch with the audience.
<b>6:15PM</b> - Linkin Park stops. Shame it wasn't longer.
<b>6:45PM</b> - Limp Biskit starts. Good stuff, nice shots of boobs (Fred Durst is such a chick magnet), and their George Michael visuals of Faith were damned funny. Also had some nice fireworks.
<b>8:00PM</b> - Limp Bisket stops.
<b>8:15PM</b> - The shade line finally hits our previous seats. Also, I realize that our fifteen minutes in the sun had given both Shellie and I sunburns. We are extremely pale and don't tan, period. (Rob is fairly tanned, and Christynn is part Puerto Rican, so she doesn't seem to tan or burn.)
<b>8:30PM</b> - Some of the female fans get bored and start flashing the crowd. These events happen at various parts of the stadium for 30 minutes.
<b>8:45PM</b> - I begin to get worried about the length of the show and my sleep time.
<b>9:00PM</b> - Metallica finally decides to show up and play. They were pretty good, playing a lot of older shit. He play only two St. Anger tunes, which a good part of the crowd sat through (instead of standing up and singing the words), no (Re)Load tunes (thank god), and one or two Black Album tunes. The pyrotechnics and fireworks were quite nice, too.
<b>11:00PM</b> - After two fake departures, they finally stop playing. I realize that we'll get little sleep.
<b>11:30PM</b> - We finally escape the traffic and out of the city. At that point, I let Rob drive our car.
<b>3:30AM</b> - After some unsuccessful naps, we arrive in Louisville at Rob's house. Drop him off and I drive home.
<b>4:00AM</b> - Get home, set alarm, and crash in the bed.

<b><i>Sunday:</i></b>
<b>8:30AM</b> - Wake up to go to work.
<b>9:20AM</b> - Go to gas station to pick up 2 24oz cappicinos, 2 Mt. Dews, and a Sobe energy drink.
<b>10:00AM</b> - At work with 4 hours of sleep and a sunburn for my efforts.

I'm proud to say that I did all of this without giving any money to Metallica or Linkin Park. (Metallica: I have issues with their new music and anti-MP3 policies. Linkin Park: Great band, great with the fans, but their new album is on the RIAA copy-protection list, so I won't buy it, nor support their use of it.) The only money I spent was on their over-priced food and drink, but that money goes to the stadium, so I'm not extremely worried about it, and that's another battle anyway.</div>

#55830  by Shellie
 Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:51 pm
<div style='font: 10pt georgia; text-align: left; '>and I am oooohhh sooo tired....4 hours of sleep before work after a long concert in the heat does not do a body good.</div>

#55832  by Kupek
 Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:58 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Sounds about the same as in DC - although I bet Metallica did play something from ReLoad, because they played Fuel here.</div>

#55833  by Shellie
 Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:19 pm
<div style='font: 10pt georgia; text-align: left; '>Yes, they did, and I thought Fuel was from Load? (I stopped paying attention after Black)</div>

#55834  by Kupek
 Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:51 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Naw, it's from ReLoad. And I reccomend giving Load a try. ReLoad has some good songs, but Load is a solid album all the way through.</div>

#55837  by SineSwiper
 Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:59 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>No thanks. Metallica's been going downhill since AJFA, and now even worse with St. Anger.</div>
 #55841  by Kupek
 Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:34 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Unlike their other albums, they didn't have any lyrics or music written for St. Anger before they went into the recording sessions. I admit I'm not too impressed with it, but I can appreciate it for what it is. Load, however, is a more planned out album, with really good stuff like Bleeding Me and The Thorn Within that remind me of old school Metallica.</div>

#55849  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:54 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Oh yeah...I remember. I liked the way he introduced the song: "Gimme a M. Gimmie a E. Gimmie a T. Gimmie fivedoawhateverthehellthelyricis."</div>

#55892  by Derithian
 Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:58 pm
<div style='font: italic bold 14pt ; text-align: center; '>I have to say though that St.Anger should not have been the song they put on the radio....no harmony no flair just shit.....that is one of the worst radio songs I have ever heard released by a band I liked.....I say liked because after the black they trailed of....load was fine but reload sucks ass</div>

#55897  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:38 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>The album titles bug me, too. I'd admit that "Kill Them All" wasn't much of an album title, but it's a helluva lot more creative than "Metallica", "Load", and "Reload".</div>

#55907  by Kupek
 Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:04 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Okay, but that's a silly reason to disregard an album.</div>

#55908  by SineSwiper
 Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:41 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>It's a sign of a lack of creativity. Most non-first self-titled albums have had a reputation of sucking.</div>

#55910  by Kupek
 Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:11 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>If you want to evaluate an album, I suggest you listen to the songs instead of analyzing the title.</div>