The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Here's a fairly unbiased review of F9/11...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #59358  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:28 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/rev ... x.htm">Put politics aside: 'Fahrenheit 9/11' will entertain</a>

Here's a fairly unbiased review of F9/11...</div>

#59371  by Stephen_Blah_Password
 Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:18 pm
<div style='font: ; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/">Ouch.</a>

Here's one from Christopher Hitchens.</div>

#59373  by ManaMan
 Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:24 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Arial; text-align: left; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.observer.com/pages/onthetown ... own.asp</a>

Rex Reed's review... Seems like everybody either loves it or hates it! It all seems to depend on how they feel about Moore and Bush before they watch it.</div>

#59374  by Zeus
 Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:48 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yeah, it's basically impossible to not be on one side before watching it, the movie's too political</div>
 #59388  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:45 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '><b>Finally, Moore complains that there isn't enough intrusion and confiscation at airports and says that it is appalling that every air traveler is not forcibly relieved of all matches and lighters.</b>

I'm sure he's talking about the fact that ANYBODY can cause damage to a plane, or take it over with such lazy security. After all, we're talking about a bunch of plane held up by fucking BOXCUTTERS! Come on people! If you can take over a plane with boxcutters, you can take it over with a Swiss army knife, or a lighter. Hell, remember the shoe bomber? He was just trying to light his shoes. If nothing else, somebody could burn the plane down.

The problem is people's fear and cowardliness, as well as a domestic policy that breeds this level of fear and terrorism.

<b>Would he have abandoned Gettysburg because the Union allowed civilians to pay proxies to serve in their place?</b>

Is Hitchens actually defending the use of proxies during the Civil War?

<b>In a recent interview, he yelled that if the hijacked civilians of 9/11 had been black, they would have fought back, unlike the stupid and presumably cowardly white men and women (and children). Never mind for now how many black passengers were on those planes—we happen to know what Moore does not care to mention: that Todd Beamer and a few of his co-passengers, shouting "Let's roll," rammed the hijackers with a trolley, fought them tooth and nail, and helped bring down a United Airlines plane, in Pennsylvania, that was speeding toward either the White House or the Capitol. There are no words for real, impromptu bravery like that, which helped save our republic from worse than actually befell.</b>

This was the FOURTH plane, mind you. By this, people were already hearing about the hijackings via phone and laptop. They only acted "bravely" because they knew THEY WERE GOING TO DIE ANYWAY!

Even if they didn't, the fact that among, say, 300 passengers in those four planes, only ONE decided to break out of the herd mentality and do something about it, is very sad indeed. Terrorism and hostage situations is fueled by the fact that everybody is cowardly, and too stupid to determine your own fate. They all believe that if they sit back and do as the terrorists say, they won't get hurt, and they'll get home to their family and greet their fat and stupid kids, and get to kick back to a cold beer. Total selfishness of what happens to the other hostages, the ones that get to be used a bargaining chips. They die, and because they are thinking the same thing as everybody: I'm going to cooperate and live. Wrong. *BANG*

The only thing different with 9/11 was that EVERYBODY died. Everybody was a bargaining chip, and everybody stood like a deer-in-headlights until their kissed their asses goodbye. Oh, and thanks for helping out the terrorists kill 5,000+ people by striking into the WTC towers. Next time, get off your fucking asses and do something about some goddamn terrorist with fucking BOXCUTTERS!

<b>Moore has announced that he won't even appear on TV shows where he might face hostile questioning.</b>

There's an interview with him in Playboy. Go read that. TV interviews suck dick. They last five minutes, show nothing, are too short, are totally biased to the interviewer, and...did I mention that they don't last long enough!?

<b>It's no worse than the tomfoolery of Oliver Stone.</b>

What the hell is wrong with Oliver Stone? Jerry Buckskullfuckmyhistoryteacherwithaspoonhemier, maybe. But, what's wrong with Stone?

<b>Yeah, well, I have myself written and presented about a dozen low-budget made-for-TV documentaries, on subjects as various as Mother Teresa and Bill Clinton and the Cyprus crisis, and I also helped produce a slightly more polished one on Henry Kissinger that was shown in movie theaters.</b>

Really? Where? I do see the Kissinger one, which I may Netflix (when the fucking site comes back up). Oh, wow...they actually have a movie version of Manufacturing Consent.

<b>If Michael Moore had had his way, Slobodan Milosevic would still be the big man in a starved and tyrannical Serbia. Bosnia and Kosovo would have been cleansed and annexed. If Michael Moore had been listened to, Afghanistan would still be under Taliban rule, and Kuwait would have remained part of Iraq. And Iraq itself would still be the personal property of a psychopathic crime family, bargaining covertly with the slave state of North Korea for WMD.</b>

Hichtens, your conservativeness is oozing at this point. If we're are going to go after Iraq, let's go after the other countries that support terrorism: Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Iran, Pakistan (-AND- Israel), North Korea, etc., etc., etc. Hell, let's waste our money on the entire bombing of the Middle East. You can't pick and choose who the Bush Doctrine applies to.</div>

#59392  by SineSwiper
 Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:12 am
<div style='font: 10pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light", "Century Gothic"; text-align: left; '>Man, that's so sappy sweet glowing and prasing that I can barely read it. It makes you wonder Reed is Moore's gay lover or something.</div>

#59413  by Stephen_Blah_Password
 Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:16 pm
<div style='font: ; text-align: left; '>I don't feel the need to respond on Hitchens' behalf except for this one point: He is not a conservative. He wrote for The Nation, for crying out loud.</div>

#59443  by ak404
 Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:41 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Comic Sans MS"; text-align: left; '>True, though he did not part from The Nation on the friendliest of terms.</div>