The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Steamboy

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #84480  by Agent 57
 Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:15 pm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348121/

Got tipped off about this by a friend of mine - turns out this is the newest movie from Katsuhiro Otomo (the guy who did <i>Akira</i>), and it's playing a limited one-week engagement at one of the arty theaters down in Cambridge, opening tonight. Yay for not having any previous Friday night plans!

I'm actually pretty psyched about this - I've been way out of the anime scene lately (the newest anime I own is Haibane Renmei, I think), so it'll be cool to see something really new.

I'll let you guys know how it is.

#84482  by Flip
 Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:50 pm
I actually saw a commercial for it the other day, looks interesting.

#84488  by Zeus
 Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:28 pm
I'll definetely check it out. The Akira guy deserves at least one more movie from me :-)

#84494  by SineSwiper
 Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:15 am
Cool, they are actually playing it at Baxter.

#84500  by Agent 57
 Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:12 pm
Quick and dirty review:

It's a "visual spectacle" sort of movie, and one of the few that I've actually liked. Requires a pretty high suspension of disbelief. A couple of the character designs are lazy redraws of characters from <i>Akira</i> - Ray is a 13-year-old version of Tetsuo, and his father is essentially the army lieutenant (sergeant?) with hair.

Basically, if you don't think too much while you're watching it, you'll like it just fine. :)