The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Prince of Tennis not only defies physics, but logic as well

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #85263  by Don
 Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:47 pm
So I picked up a recent manga scan on POT and it's like a doubles game between some school in Okinawa and Seigaku, so it's 5-3 in favor of Okinawa, 40-0 triple match point, and it went like this:

Rin (guy on Okinawa team): "I'm going to use my super duper ultra serve to finish this! (long meaningless super serve name here)

Fuji: It looks like I'll have to use my ultra secret fourth return technique that I was saving for the finals! (more meaningless super move name here)

Then we have random conversation discussing the power of Fuji's fourth technique while there is absolutely nothing going on in the tennis court, and then we're told now it is 40-15. Time for a great comeback?

2 frames later: Seigaku wins, 7-5.

I mean, doesn't being behind 5-3 at 40-15 deserves a little more explanation on how the side with the 3 won? This is hardly an isolated incidence. When Ryoma was playing Sanada, Sanada was like triple match point behind during a 5-6, and everyone's like 'yeah Sanada got this one in the bag', though since he's not part of Seigaku he actually lost (imagine that, triple match points tend to do that to you). While most sports manga openly defies physics, Prince of Tennis goes a step further and defies logic as well. Losing is actually winning and vice versa.

#85271  by Eric
 Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:29 pm
Yeah Sports manga is always an interesting read. Course I want to see Eyeshield 21's anime.

#85310  by M'k'n'zy
 Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:45 pm
I want to see Eyeshield 21 as well. I know at least a few groups are subbing it. As far as keepign realistic goes, I suggest Whistle! It was really good and fairly realistic.