The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• My take on Blade: Trinity

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #87017  by Kupek
 Mon May 16, 2005 11:03 pm
I was entertained, which is all I hoped for. I also seem to be in the minority regarding Ryan Reynolds: I thought he was hilarious; he was the only character I liked. Everyone else - in all Blade movies - takes themselves so damn seriously, it just gets tiring.

So why did you all think the other movies were better? This is a different question than "Why did you think Blade: Trinity was a bad movie?" I agree that it's not a good movie (brief list why: Parker Posey, Dracula, silly weapons, Parker Posey, silly techno-bio-babble, overused slowmo, Parker Posey). But I don't think the other two are good movies, just entertaining.

#87033  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 17, 2005 12:12 am
I've actually heard it was pretty good from most people I've talked to. I haven't seen it yet myself. I liked the first one quite a bit, but didn't particularly like the second. As I said before, the one draw that the third has for me is to see Triple H as a 300 pound vampire.

#87138  by the Gray
 Tue May 17, 2005 2:35 pm
Thank goodness someone else enjoyed it as a fun popcorn action flick. Parker Posey was a lamentable choice, but I can ignore her. I also found Ryan Reynolds amusing, it was like watching Van Wilder (albeit buffed up) kick some vampire ass.

To me it almost seems the current mode is to bash everything mercilessly, and if you don't agree you don't have any taste. Bullshit. I'm starting to detest the iPod wearing, latte sipping, OC watching masses. But that's a seperate issue.

#87143  by Kupek
 Tue May 17, 2005 2:53 pm
On the blooper reel, there's a funny scene where Parker and her posse walk into the the hospital and she says "Hi, we're going to fuck your shit right up, you don't mind, do you?" then hisses at the guy when he nonchalantly points her down the hall. This scene in whole or in part is in the movie, but without the dialouge. They should have kept it in, because I thought it was hilarious and the only good scene she had.

#87145  by Kupek
 Tue May 17, 2005 2:55 pm
Oh, and having not seen Van Wilder or heard of Ryan Reynolds prior to this, I thought it was like watching a buffed up Jason Lee beat up vampires.

#87152  by Zeus
 Tue May 17, 2005 3:49 pm
the Gray wrote:Thank goodness someone else enjoyed it as a fun popcorn action flick. Parker Posey was a lamentable choice, but I can ignore her. I also found Ryan Reynolds amusing, it was like watching Van Wilder (albeit buffed up) kick some vampire ass.

To me it almost seems the current mode is to bash everything mercilessly, and if you don't agree you don't have any taste. Bullshit. I'm starting to detest the iPod wearing, latte sipping, OC watching masses. But that's a seperate issue.
I DESPISED Trinity, but i don't have an iPoD, don't drink coffee of any shape or form, and I think OC is for women and gays. So, where do I fit? :-)

#87153  by Zeus
 Tue May 17, 2005 3:56 pm
Kupek wrote:Oh, and having not seen Van Wilder or heard of Ryan Reynolds prior to this, I thought it was like watching a buffed up Jason Lee beat up vampires.
Reynolds is great in Van Wilder. That movie was hilarious.

Blade has gotten worse - MUCH worse - with each film. I couldn't bear to watch the third one. I had to force myself to get through all of it. They had a great movie in the first one then Snipes and Goyer just started making formulaic Hollywood drivel. Dracula in a vampire film? WOW, THIS IS SUCH A SURPRISE! HE NEVER APPEARS IN ANY VAMPIRE MOVIE OTHER THAN THE ONE BASED ON THE BRAM STOKER CLASSIC! (sarcasm alert!).

Thing about both sequels is they have decent ideas with piss-poor execution. I was very pleasantly surprised with the first film and all they had to do was make the same kind of film and I'll be happy. But then they started using CG, having Blade suplex a vampire (#2), and have Triple H (who has single-handedly killed RAW) powerbomb Reynolds (#3). Couple that with him falling in love (this SCREAMS formula, BTW) with a vampire in the second and have Beil be his new "helper" (SUPER hot, but still formulaic to have a hot, "tough" chick) along with Reynolds (I didn't mind him) was just garbage. You'd figure they'd learned from having that god awful vampire group in the second (reminded me a lot of Alien: Resurrection), but noooooooo.

Kinda like FF7, after you have such a great movie in the prequel, you can't have a sequel that's not even half as good (that one's for you, EsquE :-).

#87193  by EsquE
 Wed May 18, 2005 1:52 am
Zeus wrote: Kinda like FF7, after you have such a great movie in the prequel, you can't have a sequel that's not even half as good (that one's for you, EsquE :-).
And you should only be drawn and quartered for calling the convoluted mess that is FFVI "great"... :wink:

Might as well bring everyone into this little bitch fest...

#87207  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 18, 2005 3:29 am
Aye, the new vampires in the second movie were an excellent idea, as was the "partnership" with the vampires. After whats-his-name defects and Blade says "Oh, well, I knew it all along.", I'm realizing just how bad the plot really is. Couple that with cheesy WWF moves (guys, leave the fucking wrestling moves in wrestling), it was a great idea turned to shit.

The first Blade had style -AND- plot. (Remember the moment Blade gets his shades back, and the music starts.) The second had an idea that was even better than the first, at least on paper.

#87211  by Eric
 Wed May 18, 2005 3:47 am
Not to mention the first one had Decan Frost, that guy was a pretty awesome villian.

#87216  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 18, 2005 4:24 am
Frost: Hold out your arm
Quinn: W-Why? I just grew this thing back.
Frost: Just do it.
Quinn: Okay.
Frost: Just kidding.

#87217  by Eric
 Wed May 18, 2005 5:18 am
Quinn: YOU WERE JUST FUCKIN WITH ME MAN!!! HAHAHA. ;p

#87237  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 18, 2005 12:01 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Aye, the new vampires in the second movie were an excellent idea, as was the "partnership" with the vampires. After whats-his-name defects and Blade says "Oh, well, I knew it all along.", I'm realizing just how bad the plot really is. Couple that with cheesy WWF moves (guys, leave the fucking wrestling moves in wrestling), it was a great idea turned to shit.

The first Blade had style -AND- plot. (Remember the moment Blade gets his shades back, and the music starts.) The second had an idea that was even better than the first, at least on paper.

I actually have been hearing most often that the fight scenes with Triple H were among the best in the series.

#87239  by Zeus
 Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 pm
The Seeker wrote:I actually have been hearing most often that the fight scenes with Triple H were among the best in the series.
Maybe from Vince and Linda McMahon.....

#87241  by Kupek
 Wed May 18, 2005 12:37 pm
I didn't know that the big vampire was played by a professional wrestler until I looked it up on IMDB. So I didn't think throwing in a pro-wrestling move was over the top or out of place.

That fight also has some Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu (armbar to what I think is an ooma-plata, but his back is to us, hard to tell), so I was happy.

#87281  by Blotus
 Wed May 18, 2005 9:17 pm
Ryan Reynolds was garbage and not funny. The only redeeming factor from Trinity was that Ajax (James Remar) from The Warriors was in it.