The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• What are you watching?(since Naruto is continuing it's crap)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #96423  by Zeus
 Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:05 pm
Just want to know if anyone else is watching the shows I'm following regularly:

1) Sopranos - NO ONE has said anything about the new season premiere ep. There was some crazy shit that happened. Did any of you guys watch it?

2) My Name Is Earl - anyone here still watching this? This is a fun half hour each week. Hasn't really changed since the first ep other than including Joy in every ep. Considering how hot Prestly is, this ain't a bad thing. Won't win any Emmys or force me to buy the DVDs or anything, but definetely fun to watch.

3) Veronica Mars - I know a couple here were watching it, anyone still following the show? This season is sorting drudging along, not quite as strong as the first, but it's still a pretty decent show. They had that long layoff that broke the continuity of the season and they're going back to Veronica working the PI stuff at her crazy school which I'm not overly fond of, but they're starting to make some headway again in the season long arc, which I like.

4) 24 - lots of regulars here still? The show is slowly starting to fade IMO. Don't get me wrong, I still watch it religiously, but there's just not much more they can do. Yeah it was a shock to kill so many regulars off this year, but there's just nothing they can do to shock or surprise you anymore and basically EVERYTHING has been done. I hope that this year or next is the last and they stop the show before it's forced to jump the shark.

What else are you guys watching other than Lost and Battlestar?

#96425  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:13 pm
Youtube! =)

Other than that, PPV programming and DVDs.

#96427  by Nev
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:04 am
Ever since I started college, I've watched very little TV. My personal TV has not been capable of receiving a broadcast for some years now.

I went through a phase where I thought American culture involved too much sitting-around-on-your-ass-watching-other-people-be-active-on-TV, and so I determined to be one of those people doing active things instead of the ones watching other people - in other words, I felt it was better, if I wanted to be involved with basketball, to go play a game of basketball instead of watching one on TV.

I still feel it's a pretty good philosophy on life, though I've mellowed out some and don't have a problem watching TV on leisurely days or if I don't feel like being particularly active. However, I've not gone to the trouble of having cable hooked up, mostly due to the cost, and I never seem to actually go out and buy a set of rabbit ears.

I've been thinking about getting cable recently, though. Oddly enough, I may actually be bored with having the Internet as my only source of mind-numbing entertainment.

#96428  by Ishamael
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:01 am
Haven't seen the new ep of Sopranos yet. Need to download and watch.

The only shows I'm watching religiously are "24", "BSG", "Lost" (but not too crazy about it lately) and, sadly, "American Idol". (let the jokes commence). I've heard some stuff about "24" losing it's appeal, but I think it's GREAT this season. The last few eps really got things going.

I mean,how can you top the scene were Jack threatened to shoot that guy in the leg in front of his crying wife. Only he doesn't shoot the guy, he turns and shoots the WIFE!!! That was probably the biggest "Holy Shit!" moment out of all the seasons of 24 IMO. I literally jumped in my chair. Network TV doesn't make me do that often. And then watching our boy Egar bite it was rough. I think this season is good. Screw all you complainers!

If you want a talk about a show that's jumped the shark and broken it's ankle in the process, look no further than "Lost". The forumla was interesting for a few eps, but now it's just tired. The only interesting shows are the ones where the advance the central plot (the island). I'm tired of the flashbacks and I don't care about anyone's past now. I've seen all I want to see of their pasts. Anyway, they should end it after this season.

I don't need to say anything about BSG. I think we're all pretty much agreed that it's awesome.

#96429  by Eric
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:02 am
Smallville.

It's cruel but Bleach is doing this filler BS too atm, and it's just as bad.

I WAS watching Beet the Vandal Buster, but Anime-Keep hasn't released a new episode in months.

I watch Eyeshield 21, which is a hilarious American Football anime, but the group releasing it is also slow.

Detective Conan is entertaining when it's dealing with "The Men In Black" and not those annoying fucking kids.

Family Guy of course.

Justice League Unlimited just ended, which makes me cry because I heard the DC animated studio that was responsible for Justice League, Batman, Superman and all that DC stuff over the past years like Batman Beyond and Static Shock is closing down.

There's just not alot out there atm I want to watch.

#96437  by Flip
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:33 am
My household only really watches stuff on Thursdays where i like Survivor, CSI and ER.

Well, i guess we DVR the Apprentice on Mondays and the Mrs. like Idol.

#96439  by Zeus
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am
Ishamael wrote:If you want a talk about a show that's jumped the shark and broken it's ankle in the process, look no further than "Lost". The forumla was interesting for a few eps, but now it's just tired. The only interesting shows are the ones where the advance the central plot (the island). I'm tired of the flashbacks and I don't care about anyone's past now. I've seen all I want to see of their pasts. Anyway, they should end it after this season.
Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but that's what I've been complaining about since about the the 4th ep. The show really went nowhere. It would have been awesome as a 12-16 episode miniseries, but it became ABC's big new show and Abrams is stretching the shit out of it. Really, it's just boring 'cause it's like the Lord of the Flies book: 4-6 episodes for 1 episode's worth of plot.

#96453  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:23 pm
I am likewise watching Bleach, Eyeshield 21, and Beet the Vandel Buster. I think mabye the reason that they havent done more Beet is because of the fact that the series is almost done being subbed, it only ran 52 episodes. Kinda disapointing considering the stuff that has been going on in the manga lately. I also just finished watching Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's which was excelent. I am watching MäR, Black Cat, and One Piece as well. Also next month starts the second season of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. And for those who didnt notice, they are getting ready to start a Disgaea anime.

#96454  by Eric
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:46 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:I am likewise watching Bleach, Eyeshield 21, and Beet the Vandel Buster. I think mabye the reason that they havent done more Beet is because of the fact that the series is almost done being subbed, it only ran 52 episodes. Kinda disapointing considering the stuff that has been going on in the manga lately. I also just finished watching Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's which was excelent. I am watching MäR, Black Cat, and One Piece as well. Also next month starts the second season of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. And for those who didnt notice, they are getting ready to start a Disgaea anime.
There's a 2nd Beet series after th 52nd episode.

#96455  by Don
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:08 pm
I watched Black Cat for a bit but the original stuff doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I'm watching Fate to see how they're going to pull of having a 26 episode series where nothing that made the original great happened until episode 9 (Moonlit Elegance, good place to start if you haven't followed it), and the current path seems to suggest the Sword of Promised Victory arc will be done in the mid teens which leaves 10 episode where nothing could possibly happen, but maybe Saber can pull off a third Typemoon miracle.

Eyeshield 21 seems to be going the way of Slam Dunk. While Slam Dunk is only the 4th or 5th best selling manga ever so it's not a bad idea, the 'play the best team in first round and then lose in the 2nd round' approach does get old consider it has a 10 year history to it now.

#96456  by Blotus
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:44 pm
Sopranos. And yes, that was some crazy shit. I expected Junior to REALLY crack sooner or later, but dude...

Lost, but not into it as hard anymore since they can't seem to show two new episodes in a row in the last two months.

24, obviously. Shit... I almost cried at the end of the last TWO episodes.

Arrested Development. It's not on anymore, but I'm re-watching the third season.

Curb Your Enthusiasm. Downloaded and started watching season 5.

Just finished the second season of Battlestar. Whoa baby. Shit is hot!

The Office (US). I really liked the British version - and despite all the haters - I find this one just as good (mainly because of Carrell).

I've got HBO's Rome downloaded, but have yet to see past the first episode.

#96457  by Lox
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:19 pm
Ishamael wrote:If you want a talk about a show that's jumped the shark and broken it's ankle in the process, look no further than "Lost". The forumla was interesting for a few eps, but now it's just tired. The only interesting shows are the ones where the advance the central plot (the island). I'm tired of the flashbacks and I don't care about anyone's past now. I've seen all I want to see of their pasts. Anyway, they should end it after this season.
I totally disagree. I love learning about the character's pasts still just as much as I love seeing what's going on with the Others and the rest. I have to admit, I'm not as gung-ho about it as I was last season, but that's partially because I've been become obsessed with 24 and The Office. :)

But I still love Lost.

As far as what else I'm watching, the list is:
Lost
24 (I'm almost caught up!)
My Name is Earl
The Office (American)
I am about to start watching Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica and NYPD Blue: Season 3

Black Lotus wrote:Lost, but not into it as hard anymore since they can't seem to show two new episodes in a row in the last two months.
Yeah, that's partially what my issue is with it this season too, but I'm still enjoying it when I watch it.

#96458  by M'k'n'zy
 Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:47 pm
Eric wrote:
M'k'n'zy wrote:I am likewise watching Bleach, Eyeshield 21, and Beet the Vandel Buster. I think mabye the reason that they havent done more Beet is because of the fact that the series is almost done being subbed, it only ran 52 episodes. Kinda disapointing considering the stuff that has been going on in the manga lately. I also just finished watching Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's which was excelent. I am watching MäR, Black Cat, and One Piece as well. Also next month starts the second season of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. And for those who didnt notice, they are getting ready to start a Disgaea anime.
Really? Sweet! I didnt realize that. I am about ready to just grab the raws for the rest of the series at this point.

#96459  by Eric
 Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:51 am
M'k'n'zy wrote:
Eric wrote:
Really? Sweet! I didnt realize that. I am about ready to just grab the raws for the rest of the series at this point.
[darkside-raws]Beet​_the​_Vandel​_Buster​_Exelion​_22​_(640x480​_DivX502).​[6C42E46A].​avi was just released March 13th ;p

#96464  by Zeus
 Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:02 pm
Black Lotus wrote:Sopranos. And yes, that was some crazy shit. I expected Junior to REALLY crack sooner or later, but dude...

Lost, but not into it as hard anymore since they can't seem to show two new episodes in a row in the last two months.

24, obviously. Shit... I almost cried at the end of the last TWO episodes.

Arrested Development. It's not on anymore, but I'm re-watching the third season.

Curb Your Enthusiasm. Downloaded and started watching season 5.

Just finished the second season of Battlestar. Whoa baby. Shit is hot!

The Office (US). I really liked the British version - and despite all the haters - I find this one just as good (mainly because of Carrell).

I've got HBO's Rome downloaded, but have yet to see past the first episode.
Man, that was a little close to giving it away. FOr those who didn't watch the premiere, we gotta let them be suprised. But yeah, Jun is fucking GONE

24 is bordering on going to far if they're not careful. I trust them, but I really don't see more than one more season unless they have more changes (like when they changed from one major terrorism act to a series of them in Season 4)

Arrested Development fucking rules. Best sitcom ever. I gotta buy me the last two seasons.

Couldn't watch past the second ep of Rome. Just boring.

Have to check out The Office but I want to see the British one first. In the summer when I have a life again

#96465  by Lox
 Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:34 pm
Zeus wrote:Have to check out The Office but I want to see the British one first. In the summer when I have a life again
I like the Bristish version, but I'm finding that I like the American one much more. I'm not sure why. I just laugh more at the American one.

Also, I thought the first season of the British version was still very excellent but the end of the second just felt like they had lost something to me. I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as the first season.

#96475  by M'k'n'zy
 Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:00 am
Eric wrote:
M'k'n'zy wrote:
Eric wrote: There's a 2nd Beet series after th 52nd episode.
[darkside-raws]Beet​_the​_Vandel​_Buster​_Exelion​_22​_(640x480​_DivX502).​[6C42E46A].​avi was just released March 13th ;p
Can you link me to a good site to get the raws? Sadly l33t raws isnt doing Excellion and they arent seeding their raws for 46-52 of the original series.

#96479  by Eric
 Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:18 pm
M'k'n'zy wrote:
Eric wrote:
M'k'n'zy wrote: Really? Sweet! I didnt realize that. I am about ready to just grab the raws for the rest of the series at this point.
Can you link me to a good site to get the raws? Sadly l33t raws isnt doing Excellion and they arent seeding their raws for 46-52 of the original series.
I use http://www.tokyotosho.com/ for all my anime needs.

#96480  by M'k'n'zy
 Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:03 pm
Damn, they dont have raws earlier than ep 5 of the new season

#96482  by Chris
 Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:55 pm
yeah eric. most of the JLU design team has moved on to the new legionb of superheroes cartoon which is still in the design phase. The others are all moving back to the regular comics now that they are taking on more of a lighter feel with Dini writing batman and other projects

#96518  by M'k'n'zy
 Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 am
Hey Eric, I have been looking but do you know where I can find seeded torrents of Beet 46-52? Also, now that AKeep has finished Monster, and the guy from AHaven is back from vacation we may see more Beet eps soon.

#96521  by Eric
 Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:30 am
Chris Hansbrough wrote:yeah eric. most of the JLU design team has moved on to the new legionb of superheroes cartoon which is still in the design phase. The others are all moving back to the regular comics now that they are taking on more of a lighter feel with Dini writing batman and other projects
Is that still the same universe though? Like is that that gonna be in the same world as the events that happened in Batman, Static Shock, JLU & Superman?

#96523  by Chris
 Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 am
the writers will be the same but it slooks like the animation will be a little closser to teen titans. not as insane cartoony bs faux manga that has me hating a lot of teen titans stuff but more of the a little more carttony that the regular JLU series. it spins out of the episode comign this weekend where supergirl goes to the future and hangs out with the legion. it is the same universe though just 3000 years in the future

#96604  by Ishamael
 Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:30 pm
"Lost" is suffering from the same thing that "X-files" did. In both series you had a central arc that drove the story. In one, it's finding the truth behind alien life and Mulder's sister. In the other, it's about finding out the truth behind the crash landing and what's really going on on the island.

In both, you had weekly gimmicks to fill up airtime because there just wasn't *that* much story to the central arc. In "X-files", it was the infamous monster-of-the-week thing...btw, many of these episodes were pretty good. In "Lost", it's the flashbacks.

And in both cases, the gimmicks got tired and fans started leaving in droves once they realized the writers were just going to drag things along (or had no clue like "X-files" Chris Carter). The difference is that with "X-files" it took 5 or 6 seasons. "Lost" has done it in one and a half. I find myself halfheartedly looking at torrents to burn time while waiting for the next "24" and "BSG".

Oh well...