The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Dark Knight

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#124767  by RentCavalier
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:28 pm
I liked Garden State, to be honest--I feel it sort of spoke to my generation, sort of encapsulating the spirit of pointlessness and apathy which is at the core of our current generation.

#124772  by Blotus
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:58 pm
Zeus wrote:I've been trying to be a little more PC as Kup and I have had debates on the flick before, but this is basically an extreme version of my impressions on the flick too. We all discussed this a few years back, it's like deja vu
...all over again!

I remember as well. I don't want to bring up the argument again (Barret might cry), there's just some reflex inside me that's triggered every time somebody mentions that piece of detestable whimpy garbage.

And I've been trying to be a little less PC as people the continent over get more and more sensitive.

#124773  by Mully
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:23 pm
Black Lotus wrote:detestable whimpy garbage.

Um... note, anything coming from black lotus about movies take cum grano salis.

#124775  by Kupek
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:47 pm
Black Lotus wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: Garden State is an abomination of a movie, and a rallying cry for emo-indie-faggots everywhere (if you'll pardon the expression).

"Good luck exploring the infinite abyss"...... VOMIT!
Actually, I'm sympathetic to that view. If I watched it for the first time now, I might feel something similar. But when I saw it for the first time, I was still dealing with a messy situation with the girl next door, and I had solidly entered grad school malaise. Garden State's message was one I wanted to hear.

#124777  by Mully
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:09 pm
Kupek wrote:
Black Lotus wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: Garden State is an abomination of a movie, and a rallying cry for emo-indie-faggots everywhere (if you'll pardon the expression).

Actually, I'm sympathetic to that view. If I watched it for the first time now, I might feel something similar. But when I saw it for the first time, I was still dealing with a messy situation with the girl next door, and I had solidly entered grad school malaise. Garden State's message was one I wanted to hear.
Me too, but happenstance it was just us. Usually critics will generalize a movie into "post 9/11" or "post Matrix."

#124779  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 pm
Kupek wrote:

That makes sense now. Timing definitely changes your views on things.

#124788  by Mully
 Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:53 am
Ok, looks like we diviated a little!

Any, back to TDK:

Having seen the movie more than 2 weeks ago, one of my only problems with the movie for real, since I actually enjoyed the movie despite my critique, everyone who claimed it was the greatest "fill in the blank" movie of all time was the lack of any visually stunning, filmic scenes nor suspense. You know what I mean?

Visually Stunning:
Matrix had "bullet time"
Oldboy had the "Hammer fight"
The opening to Touch of Evil
Any scene involving space in 2001 Space Odyssey

Suspenseful:
Raiders of the Lost Ark's boulder/idol scene
....more will go here, but I'm off to bed, very tired and late.

#124790  by SineSwiper
 Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:08 am
Well, Cube had the first 5 minutes, but the story in general wasn't all that great.

#124803  by Flip
 Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:52 pm
I think what would have made Dent's out of character turn to evil a little more believable would be if the girl said yes to his proposal at the first asking as opposed to when she was about to die.

I didnt feel the love he had for her since she out right rejected him and still ran to Bruce all the time. Why would he be so infatuated with a chick who didnt have the same feelings and lacked reciprocity?...

#124805  by SineSwiper
 Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:50 pm
Flip wrote:I think what would have made Dent's out of character turn to evil a little more believable would be if the girl said yes to his proposal at the first asking as opposed to when she was about to die.

I didnt feel the love he had for her since she out right rejected him and still ran to Bruce all the time. Why would he be so infatuated with a chick who didnt have the same feelings and lacked reciprocity?...
He didn't really know about the thing with Bruce, and she wasn't rejecting him, but was more like telling him to slow down. She was also torn between the two, and eventually sided with Harvey (remember the letter).

#124881  by bovine
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:30 am
Spoilers!

Mully wrote:Why did Maggie G thank Bruce Wayne's apartment was "the safest place in the city?" The Joker had already been there and breached his security.
saw it for a second time and she said it was "the safest place in the city right now".

nitpickery at its finest.

#124884  by Mully
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:03 am
bovine wrote:Spoilers!

Mully wrote:Why did Maggie G thank Bruce Wayne's apartment was "the safest place in the city?" The Joker had already been there and breached his security.
saw it for a second time and she said it was "the safest place in the city right now".

Nitpickery at its finest? Whose? Mine?

#124887  by Chris
 Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:22 am
bovine wrote:Spoilers!

it is the safest place though....he's got a badhideyhole....

#124965  by kent
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 am
because supposedly everybody else in the city is either intimidated by the Joker or is subject to being bribed. the only person in the city above both of those things was Bruce Wayne.

that's what they were getting at, whether or not you buy it is up to you.

#124966  by Chris
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 am
kent wrote:
because supposedly everybody else in the city is either intimidated by the Joker or is subject to being bribed. the only person in the city above both of those things was Bruce Wayne.

ummmmm.....FUCKING BATCAVE

#124974  by RentCavalier
 Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:15 pm
Chris wrote:
kent wrote:

This.

#124998  by Mully
 Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:29 am
RentCavalier wrote:
Chris wrote:
kent wrote: because supposedly everybody else in the city is either intimidated by the Joker or is subject to being bribed. the only person in the city above both of those things was Bruce Wayne.

This.
Bruce's apartment was no where near the batcave.

I accept the "the only person in the city above both" response.

#125014  by Chris
 Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:33 pm
Mully wrote:
RentCavalier wrote:
Chris wrote:ummmmm.....FUCKING BATCAVE
This.

um.....hidden passageways that all lead to a batbunker whiterom place.....sorry.....a batsecretlair......no fuck that....it's still a batcave......just more of a batroom than a cave

#125076  by Mully
 Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:35 am
Chris wrote:
Mully wrote:
RentCavalier wrote: This.

um.....hidden passageways that all lead to a batbunker whiterom place.....sorry.....a batsecretlair......no fuck that....it's still a batcave......just more of a batroom than a cave
I don't think it led to the bat cave. it never implies that at all.

#125084  by RentCavalier
 Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 pm
Mully wrote:
Chris wrote:
Mully wrote: Bruce's apartment was no where near the batcave.

I don't think it led to the bat cave. it never implies that at all.
He's not saying it leads to the actual CAVE, more like he's saying that it leads to about the equivalent of a batcave, that being a secret location that batman has full of gadgets.

#125093  by Mully
 Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Aaaah!