The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Finished off Battlestar Galactica Season 1. Holy shit...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #95055  by Ishamael
 Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:50 am
Wow. Where to start talking? Hell if I know! All I can say is it's one of the best TV series, of any kind, ever. No exaggeration. It's got everything and perhaps more amazingly, it does everything well. Romance, betrayal, war, politics....even religion. All fit in into the show congruently and they never step on each other's toes. It continues the evolution of sci-fi begun by (believe it or not), Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Can't wait until Netflix makes Season 2 available...I may have to buy it before then though. I don't think I can wait after a season ending cliffhanger like that!

#95073  by SineSwiper
 Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:57 am
ST:DS9 was copying off of Babylon 5's success. DS9 didn't start to be continuous until they starting noticing that people really liked B5. B5 was planned to be like that from the beginning.

Just saying, you know, to give credit where it's due.

#95081  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:06 am
Ish, I'd go pick up the first half of Season 2 on DVD at Best Buy. $40 was the price, it's not packed full of extras or anything but Season 2 picked up right where season one left off.

New Episodes start friday January 6th.

#95083  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:26 pm
Hmmm, the series sounds like I might find it interesting as well. Although I have to admit that even though I really liked a lot of the characters in Deep Space 9, I found it was a series I could not get into. The thing is, I really liked the idea of it, I just thought it could have been executed a lot better. Perhaps Battlestar Galactica is that answer?

#95139  by SineSwiper
 Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:14 am
Well, in my opinion, most sci-fi series after Star Trek have been better than Star Trek. Not to say that ST wasn't good, but it always suffered from being too damned clean cut. Series like Farscape and Firefly show the reality of what life after space would be like.

#95159  by Ishamael
 Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:32 pm
SineSwiper wrote:ST:DS9 was copying off of Babylon 5's success. DS9 didn't start to be continuous until they starting noticing that people really liked B5. B5 was planned to be like that from the beginning.

Just saying, you know, to give credit where it's due.
You're probably right about that, though I've never seen B5 myself.

Also on an informative, but slightly unrelated note, Ron Moore (main guy on BSG) wrote many TNG and DS9 episodes and was a big fan of Firefly.

#95166  by SineSwiper
 Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:21 pm
Ishamael wrote:Also on an informative, but slightly unrelated note, Ron Moore (main guy on BSG) wrote many TNG and DS9 episodes and was a big fan of Firefly.
I think I've posted the writing credits and their previous projects before.

#95173  by Ishamael
 Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:41 am
Barret wrote:Ish, I'd go pick up the first half of Season 2 on DVD at Best Buy. $40 was the price, it's not packed full of extras or anything but Season 2 picked up right where season one left off.

New Episodes start friday January 6th.
Oh yeah...almost forgot. Thanks. :)

#95261  by Blotus
 Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:20 pm
I've heard great things, but I'm pretty tied up in Lost right now, and 24 starts soon. I'd definitely pick up the DVDs if I saw them for cheap.

#95263  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:37 pm
$60 cheap enough?

You get the 3 hr mini plus 13 eps.

#95285  by Tortolia
 Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:18 pm
This show is Television Jesus.

#95314  by Ishamael
 Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:08 pm
Tortolia wrote:This show is Television Jesus.
Indeed, sir. Indeed.

#95322  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:46 am
Jesus? Hell no, it's the motherfucking bastard child that God had before Jesus. In other words, when this series ends, the world will too.