The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Was I right about Crash or what?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #96189  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:04 pm
It won best picture, what do you say about the Canadian film industry now? =)

The other big winners were Memoirs of a Geisha and Kong.

#96190  by Blotus
 Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:42 pm
Crash was the only nominated film I saw and if its win is any indication, the rest of the movies must blow (I know they didn't).

Fuck Crash. I haven't heard so many people back a shitty movie since Garden State.

#96191  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:48 pm
Black Lotus wrote:Crash was the only nominated film I saw and if its win is any indication, the rest of the movies must blow (I know they didn't).

Fuck Crash. I haven't heard so many people back a shitty movie since Garden State.
Yeah, yeah, whatever =)

I still absolutely love the movie, certainly my favourite of the year. I'm happy to see it getting all the critical recognition it has been receiving.

#96192  by Eric
 Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:46 pm
Crash Bandicoot?!

#96193  by Ishamael
 Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:00 am
Suprised by the hate for Crash. I just thought it was decent. I haven't seen any of the others. I know BL is probably a big Brokeback and Capote fan.

#96199  by SineSwiper
 Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:58 am
I really liked Crash myself. Can't vouch for Brokeback Mt, so I'm not going to make the usual gay jokes about it since it's probably a really good movie. (Ang Lee doing another love story, as he should.)

#96202  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:49 am
One thing about Crash is that it is a great example of how a movie can do big things without a massive budget. The same thing was said about American Beauty and its 15 million dollar budget. Crash's budget was only 6.5 million dollars.

#96217  by SineSwiper
 Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:51 pm
Actually, a majority of Oscar winners aren't exactly big budget. After all, the Oscars doesn't usually reward the action flicks.

#96220  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Actually, a majority of Oscar winners aren't exactly big budget. After all, the Oscars doesn't usually reward the action flicks.
I think I remember reading that almost all the other movies that have won in the past 15 years have had a 30M+ budget. 6.5 million is next to nothing in comparison; I can't think of any other major winners who have a budget below 10 million dollars in films from our generation. But yeah, a lot of the big actiontype movies have a massive 80-150 million dollar budget, a few as high as 200M.

#96236  by Zeus
 Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:39 am
SineSwiper wrote:I really liked Crash myself. Can't vouch for Brokeback Mt, so I'm not going to make the usual gay jokes about it since it's probably a really good movie. (Ang Lee doing another love story, as he should.)
I'm VERY curious if there's a scene where they eat pudding in Brokeback :D

#96254  by Ishamael
 Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:18 am
Zeus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:I really liked Crash myself. Can't vouch for Brokeback Mt, so I'm not going to make the usual gay jokes about it since it's probably a really good movie. (Ang Lee doing another love story, as he should.)
I'm VERY curious if there's a scene where they eat pudding in Brokeback :D
LOL! This point begs the question - how can a movie win Best Picture if freakin' Cartman predicted it on "South Park" 8 years ago? Just doesn't seem right.

#96257  by Torgo
 Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:02 am
I'm also baffled by all the hate for Crash. I haven't seen the other nominees, but when I saw Crash I pretty much knew it would be a strong contender.