The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (2008)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#105652  by Eric
 Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:38 am
If it was CG like Blizzard's cinematics I'd be excited, as it is now, it's live action, so I'm holding my breath.

#105653  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:45 am
Eric wrote:If it was CG like Blizzard's cinematics I'd be excited, as it is now, it's live action, so I'm holding my breath.
Live Action fantasy flicks can be done well, Lord of the Rings is a good example. Although, unlike other commercially successful fantasy series' (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Narnia), Warcraft doesn't have hundreds of millions of fans. Right now I think the best a videogame adaptation has done is Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil Apocalypse, both around 130 million. I am not sure what kind of budget they will be aiming for due to these numbers (Narnia, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings are all in the 700 million to 1.2 billion range).

Although I do enjoy Blizzards short CG scenes, I do not think a full length movie of them would be as interesting. Unless they somehow managed something on the Gollum level.

#105654  by Eric
 Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:14 am
The Seeker wrote:
Eric wrote:If it was CG like Blizzard's cinematics I'd be excited, as it is now, it's live action, so I'm holding my breath.
Live Action fantasy flicks can be done well, Lord of the Rings is a good example. Although, unlike other commercially successful fantasy series' (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Narnia), Warcraft doesn't have hundreds of millions of fans. Right now I think the best a videogame adaptation has done is Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil Apocalypse, both around 130 million. I am not sure what kind of budget they will be aiming for due to these numbers (Narnia, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings are all in the 700 million to 1.2 billion range).

Although I do enjoy Blizzards short CG scenes, I do not think a full length movie of them would be as interesting. Unless they somehow managed something on the Gollum level.
Books/Comic Books movies have done reasonable well. Video game movies still sell out completely from the source material to earn a buck, maybe Warcraft will be to video games what Spider-man was to comic books, time will tell. >_>

#105826  by SineSwiper
 Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 pm
That's partly because the source material for most video games are subpar, in comparison to books and comic books. Plus it's hard to take a 50+ hour game and put it into a 2 hour movie.

There are some exceptions, though. The Silent Hill movie was really good. That's about the only example of a good VG movie I know of.

#105839  by Nev
 Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:03 pm
Agreed with Sine (though I haven't seen Silent Hill). VG plots are mostly complete shit in modern storytelling terms, and the industry almost actively encourages it.

John Carmack's a hero of mine, but I still have to have words with him over his attitude regarding plot...supposedly he's said games don't need plots at all, and he's not wrong, but I wish he wouldn't feed that particular fire any more. :D Game plots are too easy to make completely stupid without anyone needing to particularly work at it.

#105856  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 am
I think most of the games they take and turn into movies are under 5 hours. Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, etc... Warcraft, I think, would be difficult to transform into a movie because the storyline revolves around a series of battles, and if Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, and Gladiator are any indication, you can only fit so many good battle scenes into a movie.