The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Absolute Garbage (Garbage Greatest Hits album)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #111504  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:11 pm
TOTALLY slipped under the radar for me, it was released a couple of months ago. It was originally supposed to be released a couple of years ago after Bleed Like Me, but was initially shelved due to differences with the band members. Either way, it is a very strong line-up of songs mostly from Garbage and Version 2.0. It lacks a few songs that I really liked but overall it's just more goodness on top of the existing goodness that I could ask for.

The album kicks off with Vow as the top single, which incidently is my favourite song by the band and the first one I had actually heard from them. It also includes favourites like Stupid Girl, I think I'm Paranoid, Push It, Bleed Like Me, and the World is Not Enough theme. A new song called "Tell me where it hurts" is also on the album. From what I gather though, it will be a while before their next full studio album, possibly a decade or more if they follow the trend of other bands that burn out.
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#111512  by SineSwiper
 Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:56 pm
Why buy that when you can just buy Version 2.0? Everything else sucks. (Well, bits and pieces of the self-titled is good, but the new shit blows.)

#111528  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:10 am
All the reason to get (or at least download) the greatest hits album first: I don't think most people would agree with you on Version 2.0 being their best, though some may, and it also gives an overview of their less popular third and fourth albums. The self titled album (Garbage) I found to be easily the best and I think most would agree. Version 2.0, while very good, lacked the same level of diversity, emotion, and timelessness of the first. I recommend both albums though. Personally, I liked all of their albums, though I felt Beautiful Garbage was easily the weakest.

#111529  by SineSwiper
 Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:52 am
Huh? Songs like Medication, or The Trick is to Keep Breathing aren't emotional?

Diversity? Hell, Version 2.0 was a partial electronic effort. The first album sounded like a post-grudge band trying to find itself. Version 2.0 sounded like they found a sound that they could stick with, and Beautiful Garbage sounded like their lost themselves in some cheesy pop direction.

Sorry, I know I'm (futilely) arguing about opinions in music, but Version 2.0 was easily their best album. Actually, the difference between their first and second album is much like the difference between Filter's first and second album. A good mixer adds a lot of depth to a band.

#111572  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:03 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Huh? Songs like Medication, or The Trick is to Keep Breathing aren't emotional?
Where did I say that?

#111848  by SineSwiper
 Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:07 am
Dutch wrote:Version 2.0, while very good, lacked the same level of diversity, emotion, and timelessness of the first.
Here.

#111871  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:18 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Dutch wrote:Version 2.0, while very good, lacked the same level of diversity, emotion, and timelessness of the first.
Here.
Read what that says more carefully.