The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Shion's King

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #120627  by Don
 Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:12 pm
Shion's King appears to be a cheesy ripoff from Hikau no Go that involves Shogi (a game somewhat similar to Chess). Shion, the heroine of the story, found her parents dead one day with a bloody king piece lying by them, so like any hardcore manga fan she figured that her parents were killed by someone who was good at Shogi, so she set out to become the best Shogi player in the world so she can find this murderer.

Normally this would just be a HNG ripoff that isn't any more worthy of discussion compare to the slew of say, DN ripoffs that showed up after Death Note's rise of popularity. But Shion's King takes hardcore to another level. While the Japanese are always willing to put their life on the line for totally trivial things like Go, tennis, or baking, this I think marks the first time in manga history someone has been killed over a recreational activity that has no inherent risk of dying. The whole series takes on a very Star Wars-esque light side/dark side and it turned out that Shion's parents were killed so Shion can tap into her dark side-like Shogi powers via the hate and anguish caused by the said accident. When Shion confronts the one who killed her parents, it was literally an Emperor-Luke thing where the other guy was constantly saying give in to your hatred or you'll never be able to beat me in Shogi. Shion later confessed that the driving motive to seeking revenge was not because her parents died, but that she once lost a game of Shogi to the guy who killed parents.

This, I believe, solidly cements Shogi as the most hardcore activity that doesn't directly involve killing people in manga history.

#120628  by Eric
 Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:27 pm
Shion's parents were killed so Shion can tap into her dark side-like Shogi powers via the hate and anguish caused by the said accident.
Grrr, Don. Spoilers!

#120634  by Don
 Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:55 pm
You mean people besides me read this stuff?

I don't consider anything that steals from Star Wars a spoiler, and if the guy who killed Shion's parents turned out to be her father, you heard that from me first!

#120638  by SineSwiper
 Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:16 pm
That's the first time I've heard that name outside of Xenosaga.

#120640  by Don
 Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:31 pm
I think don't the name Shion is anything special. Might not be a common name but it's not like something you can't name your children after.

#120643  by RentCavalier
 Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 pm
That sounds like the most retarded anime...um...EVER.

I mean. Seriously. REALLY retarded.